She's Leaking Everywhere

shakenbake254

Reaction score
My trucks leaking like crazy. It's leaking from the powersteering gearbox and was leaking from the pressure hose but I replaced that with one from Napa. I'm nervous to use stop leak until I can replace the box. I have read both good and bad things about it in our trucks. Any thoughts?

It's leaking atf from the transfer case where it mates to the transmission. It should be the BW 1345 but I can't remember right now. I haven't found much info on this repair on any forums I have checked.

You must be registered for see images attach

I put rtv where the leak was coming to slow it down until I can fix it. Is it a gasket? If so how do I replace it?

It's leaking oil too. It was leaking from the drain plug but I purchased a new one. I put dye in the oil to try to find the leaks. It may be the oil pan gasket but I read on here that it may be higher up and dripping down from the engine bay. How can I tell which one? The engine bay looks pretty clean. There is a fuel leak from I think the return line on injector #1 so maybe stuff is leaking down from the engine bay. The starter is wet, it's dripping off the lines next to starter (looks like fuel and oil), and its dripping from the hole in the thing behind the pan (what is this?).

Everything circled in red I see fluid collecting and or dripping. I know this is a big post and I appreciate any help I can get. This is my first truck and I'm learning as I go.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steam clean it all off make sure it is spotless n then watvh fer leaks.

Tcase/trans should be a gasket. Really...how do you replace it...really..seperate tcase from trans clean off surfaces inspect internal seals replace if needed. Install gasket and tcase n bolt together..

If engine spotless uv dye works well

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They do have a gasket for the tcase, but rtv is fine after you split it to get in there better.
Oil pan gasket is a no no. Rtv only.
Fuel leaks up top are leaking down through the drain hole in the back of the valley pan, down to the starter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The second pic clearly shows fuel and not oil. This is a common leak from the TOP of the engine. Its leaking from the injection pump or the return lines but its coming from on top. then is reaches the pan under the intake manifold and drains out the tiny hole way in the back of the pan. then it can ONLY run down the passenger side of the engine and drip off the starter. It can't leak down the drivers side because of how the block is made.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the C6 is an exceptional animal, the space between the tranny and t-case is "dry". You shouldn't need any seal there. A leak there is actually secondary to a leak either from the output shaft seal of the tranny, or the input shaft seal of the t-case. I forget off-hand whether the 1345 takes ATF or gear oil, but if you're seeing ATF, I'd reckon it's from the tranny output seal.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 1345 takes atf. I'd replace both seals while you're in there. You're already there. Over last Thanksgiving weekend, I was swapping the 4 speed in my 85 F250 out for a zf5. The trans seal was bad. There was so much RTV between the two that I had to use my 52 oz dead blow to separate them. Of course I didn't know the seal was bad and got a bath in 80/90. RTV is fine, but just use a little. It's only there to hold fluid if a seal goes bad. It's not there to glue the transfer case to the transmission.

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies about the trans seals. What is this? Its the main source of oil leaking. It's dripping consistently out of the hole on it. I asked a few people before coming here and nobody could gove me an answer.

I can post a more clear photo if needed.

shakenbake254

Reaction score

It's part of the trans I am pretty sure. Theres a slit in it thats consistently dripping. Maybe its also from the output seal leaking?

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Sorry about the pictures. I'm pretty sure it's not just fuel coming out of there. Guess I'll go back to looking for more leaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle