Shackle Reversal Kit on 1988 F350

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I have searched and searched but cannot seam to find any decent installation pictures or threads of the Shackle Reversal kit from Sky Manufacturing installed on an older 88-91 truck.

I have an 1988 F350 that I am about ready to start this on and would like to see how others have modified the frame rails to make this kit work. Does anyone have some pictures of their install or a thread you can point me to that may cover this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Here is that link. I have it saved in my favorites:D http://www.projectresponder.com/reverse-shackle-kit~19.htm

This is ORU(off road unlimited) kit. They make one for the 80-91 frame horns, but all it is, is a bent piece of metal to box the frame.

I would buy the SKY kit and make the box. It will save you about 200 and SKYs is built stronger. And SKY does not have you cut your stock hangers

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Brad, thanks for the link I just read through the writeup for the ORU install. From what I can tell in the Project Responder install he modifies the rear spring hanger to make the shackle fit, does this have to be done with the Sky Manufacturing kit as well?

It also looks like he removed the front body mount brackets for the core support however he never shows how they were reinstalled?? Any info on this? Do they indeed need to be removed and if so how are the reinstalled?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned a shackle reversal kit but did have a kit on my truck once that had all new mounts for the leafsprings to sit lower giving it a lift. The front I had to grind off the rivets holding the body mounts and the bracket was 1/4" thick and bolted in between the body mount and the frame through the 3 holes w/ bolts. I bet that is the same way with the shackle reversal kit.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Looks like I may have to document this install well so people in the future can use it for reference. I was hoping to not have so many questions marks with this but we'll see I guess...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Brad, thanks for the link I just read through the writeup for the ORU install. From what I can tell in the Project Responder install he modifies the rear spring hanger to make the shackle fit, does this have to be done with the Sky Manufacturing kit as well?

It also looks like he removed the front body mount brackets for the core support however he never shows how they were reinstalled?? Any info on this? Do they indeed need to be removed and if so how are the reinstalled?

Try to answer questions in order.
The ORU kit is 2.5" lift the SKY kit is 3" or a 5". The ORU kit has you cut the rear hanger and redrill the hole. The SKY kit does NOT have you cut.

As for the rad support mount. Yes it is removed because 3 of the 6 rivits that hold the original shackle hanger also hold the rad support mount. Once the original shackle hanger is removed, the rad support mount is put back on in the original location w 3 grade 8 bolts.

if you have any more questions please let me know, i have done several of these kits. I have only done the ORU ones since the SKY kits are kinda new but they are the same basic principle. When i go to put one in my 86 it will be getting the SKY kit not the ORU

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont know, that guys truck sorta scares me the way some things are done.

that rear shackle angle is way off. that tall of a spring perch on front i would of boxed.

plus considering he was running blocks in the front, i wouldnt listen to one word he said. thats just dumb. dont care if they were only 1 inch tall.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

that rear shackle angle is way off. that tall of a spring perch on front i would of boxed.

plus considering he was running blocks in the front, i wouldnt listen to one word he said. thats just dumb. dont care if they were only 1 inch tall.

I didn't look at it but I agree if he is using any type of lift block in the front that would be enough for me not to listen to too much of what he is doing.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't look at it but I agree if he is using any type of lift block in the front that would be enough for me not to listen to too much of what he is doing.

That guys truck is hacked together. I wouldnt want him to work on a go cart

glad i am not the only one that thought that .

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score

The block is welded to the axle, how is that dumb?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read through it all I saw him say is its not illegal to run front blocks if they are welded to the axle. I don't know what the kingpin dana 60's look like but on the balljoint ones the diff is so close to the steering knuckle and it actually has the spring mount built into it which is cast not just mild steel. I think this would be a bad idea on something like this. Even if its not like the ball joint dana 60's its a bad idea to have a lift block because all the force of turning will be pushing sideways against that block. I don't see the advantage of a 1" lift block compared to the peace of mind of doing it the right way or at least what everyone else has considered to be safe. Why be a pioneer in dangerous suspension design? I looked at the spring mounts he was building for the front and I think its really under designed and not much thought given to locating the axle how it was from the factory but lower. It looks like one of the projects of get er done and make it lifted. I don't mean to insult it or anything but there are better ways of doing this and if its a money deal then wait until you can afford to do it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online