service truck trans mods whats best

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well im posting about my service truck again it was the damn tork converter
well what can be done to make this trans better the boss doesnt want to swap a 5er in it so what can be done
cant pull it out to send it off to be rebuilt to much down time
what im thinking it a tork converter from banks and a trans command also would that make it more reliable for a truck that weights 12500lbs
what do you guys think

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with a trans command or other electronic shift kits. You will do more harm than good on a factory E4OD. All they do is increase the line pressure and put extra strain on seals, and weak pistons, and can even increase operating temperature.

What year is the truck? do you know if the trans is factory original?

The first thing I would do is get a better torque converter. The stock E4OD torque converters all the way up to the latest 4R100s are crap. Some live, others are time bombs.

Rebuilding it to better specs would be ideal, but a good quality aftermarket TC and a shift kit is the bare minimum. But it would be a little risky to use those new parts on a transmission that may not be good. The thing with autos is that they don't often give much warning even if something major is wrong inside.

Something else you might consider is getting another E4OD core, and rebuild it, then swap that over but that can get pricey and time consuming. However, that way the truck is bullet proof and you don't have to deal with as much vehicle down time.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
year 97 and no rebuilt trans dont know when the trans came with the truck we got the truck with no engine

That changes things a little if that is indeed the build year of the transmission. 1997 was a good build year. Being an F450, it may already have the steel gears and other goodies in it. A stronger torque converter and shift kit may be all it really needs, although even a shift kit might not be mandatory unless you are increacing the output of the engine beyond stock. Does it still have the factory cooler? A bigger cooler and trans temp gauge wouldn't hurt.

As was mentioned on the other thread, stay close to home for a while until you are sure the truck is solid. Having a TC blow has a high chance of sending shrapnel through the rest of the transmission but maybe your boss will get away with it...only time will tell.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
oh sorry it does have a rebuilt tranny in it and i have no idea when it was done or even its the original or a exhange trans
it was an old construction company truck so im going to asume that it was an exchange
staying close to home can be done but we get that special call i could be driving for at least 100 mi and that could be rite now it sucks that i cant talk the boss into doing something about that damn trans i dont want to be stranded on the side of the road again

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not having spare power and transmission units available to put in on a critical use vehicle is shortsighted. I'd be looking for a replacement trans and torque converter and keeping it in reserve just for the next disaster. Same goes with the motor. I got a flyer today with some halfway decent deals on complete drop-in motors with less than 100k on the clock for $4500. they claim that all the accessories are included. that way if something went down on your truck, you can pull and stab tonite. Just don't forget to refurb the bad unit so it will be ready for the next issue the truck coughs up.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
not having spare power and transmission units available to put in on a critical use vehicle is shortsighted. I'd be looking for a replacement trans and torque converter and keeping it in reserve just for the next disaster. Same goes with the motor. I got a flyer today with some halfway decent deals on complete drop-in motors with less than 100k on the clock for $4500. they claim that all the accessories are included. that way if something went down on your truck, you can pull and stab tonite. Just don't forget to refurb the bad unit so it will be ready for the next issue the truck coughs up.

yes yes and yes thats what should be done but the boss doesnt want to spend the moeny rite now im thinking around tax time or so but ya your absultly right