Serpentine Belt Tensioner

arnolt

Reaction score
I have a 1993 F350 7.3 diesel, with an ATS turbo system. The truck threw the serpentine belt the other day and I can not quite figure out how the tensioner works. I went to NAPA but none of their tensioners match what is on my truck. Mine looks like it is bolted to the block with a torquex or allen head bolt and there is an ear with a small little shock absorber attached to it and to the trucks vacuum pump. Do I disconnect the shock from the vacuum pump then undo the bolt to remove the tensioner? Do I also need to remove the idler pulley to get the assembly out? Does the little shock absorber provide the necessary belt tension, or is there a spring in the tensioner some place? There is no spring visible anywhere. There is a number on the front of the tensioner F4TA-6B209EA. If I can figure out how the tensioner works I can try to reattach the belt and see if the tensioner will maintain the proper serpetine tension. Any help at all with a source for the tensioner assembly or procedures for it's removal and replacement would be greatly appreciated.
Charles

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get the belt on and off get a socket on the idler pulley bolt. Just pull hard like you are loosening the bolt on that pulley, and the tensioner will compress. Really simple.

To remove the tensioner assembly (including the shock) you have to remove the torx-head bolt holding the pulley and the two bolts holding the shock absorber bracket in place. I wouldn't be surprised if the shock was worn out. Pulled mine several months ago because the belt was squeaky, and the shock had zero pressure.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
15mm wrench or socket and turn it counte clockwise. That will move provided you are turning the right one...since the other is a torx head, it should be easy to figure out.

SWS

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my belt, I get a squealing noise when the truck is shut down......any ideas?

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be all kinds of things. But then again a little squealing right at shut down is pretty common, so I wouldn't worry unless it becomes excessive. Also sometimes new belts seem to squeak until they "break in".

You could take the belt off, check the tensioner, spin each pulley by hand, and check for an unusual amount of resistance or improper pulley alignment. You could also hit it with some belt dressing and cross your fingers. ;Sweet

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Just replaced my belt, I get a squealing noise when the truck is shut down......any ideas?

Your engine has 21.5:1 compression, when you shut it off the cylinder that was about to get fuel still has pressure in it and pushes the piston back down so the engine kicks backwards slightly, so all the accessories are asked to stop and turn backwards instantly, because of inertia they don't therefore the belt slips.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, now the belt "squeals" constantly. I guess its just because its a new belt.

do you guys think belt dressing would help

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you check for pulley alignment?

For some reason the belt likes to ride the oustide edge of the water pump pulley, any ideas?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Your engine has 21.5:1 compression, when you shut it off the cylinder that was about to get fuel still has pressure in it and pushes the piston back down so the engine kicks backwards slightly, so all the accessories are asked to stop and turn backwards instantly, because of inertia they don't therefore the belt slips.

and that is why it is important to tighten the **** out of the fan clutch nut.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting, now the belt "squeals" constantly. I guess its just because its a new belt.

do you guys think belt dressing would help

YES. It won't actually fix anything, but it will immediately silence most squeaky belts.

how do you check for pulley alignment?

Use a straight edge to make sure they are all at the same depth relative to each other. Take the belt off and spin each pulley by hand, making sure that it is running true.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use an inspection mirror to see the front of the tensioner. It will have a gauge and pointer telling you if the belt is properly tensioned and the correct length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online