Serious problem....?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well fixed the problem, it was a bad injector. Runs ok now......but blew another lifter or 2. Has a thumping sound in the intake again, and slight miss fire but runs alot better. Guess i shouldn't of revved the **** out of it when I got mad at it yesterday.

I hope the new lifters start working with eventually anyways.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace all the lifters or only the suspect ones?

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What caused so many lifters to fail you think?

That's not real common is it?

Fun fact: those lifters are the same for the 7.3 Powerstroke and I believe the 6.0 too.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I replaced all 16 lifters. They worked great yesterday. No thumping sounds, replaced the bad injector, fire up and thumping sounds again and slight miss fire out the exhaust. Did about 25 miles running errands tonight and no change.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have loose metal in the engine, it is or will be toast. Pull a valve cover and see if it is all over the insides.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you had the valve covers off, did you notice if any of the valves were sooted up? You might want to read up on "chuff."

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
No everything was super clean, nothing odd or sludge or debris of any kind anywhere. Very very clean engine.

Been driving it for a week now, and same thing, still that one blown lifter rattling away, I can hear it over the engine noise.

If I turn sharply left, lifer noise goes away, if I turn sharply right, the lifter noise gets extremely bad, sounds completely dry. No oil is not low. It is coming from rear passenger side of engine, guess I'll run it this way till winter storage and tare into it again next year. Unless a good dose of seafoam frees it up....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7