Sending unit lock ring wrench?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My 1985 needs a sending unit removal/replacement to replace the shower head and I cannot get the lock ring off. Does anyone have the factory lock ring wrench? Happy to pay rent and shipping, should only need it for a week or so.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is yours the kind you can tap off, or you don't want to risk it due to the tabs? On my truck both are the tap on style, but I haven't done my rear tank shower head because my tabs are so rusty on that tank they'd fall off if I tapped haha

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't get them loose with a hammer and punch, the wrench is probably not going to get them loose.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I just pry the tabs up enough with a screwdriver and get a pair of channel locks to bend them up. For installing, a hammer and punch

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I soak it down really good with a penetrating oil before trying to loosen it. I'll usually let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I have yet to have one that didn't come loose after the soaking. Disclaimer: I don't live in the rust belt and haven't tried this on a truck that is from there. Northeasterners, don't hate on me if this doesn't work for you.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I soak it down really good with a penetrating oil before trying to loosen it. I'll usually let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I have yet to have one that didn't come loose after the soaking. Disclaimer: I don't live in the rust belt and haven't tried this on a truck that is from there. Northeasterners, don't hate on me if this doesn't work for you.

Usually up here it's much easier to just replace the whole tank LOL

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I soak it down really good with a penetrating oil before trying to loosen it.

I had not thought of doing that, but if a wrench does not show up, I will indeed give it a good soak. My main problem is that I cannot see the tabs and do not know if I am banging away on the correct parts. It is the ring on the front tank that is the problem, I replaced the rear sender and showerhead years ago. Should have made another showerhead for the front then.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/is-it-a-gauge-problem-or-is-it-a-sending-unit-problem.42130/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726