Sell it whole or part it out?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went out to pick up waste oil today and found that all four of my suppliers had, for some reason or another, quit giving out oil. I only have another six months in this country before I move anyways, and I don't have the time or energy to run down enough new suppliers to be able to afford to keep my truck. So, here's the question: Should I sell it whole or part it out?
It's a 92 F250 7.3IDI with 127k. I've got a matching topper, bedliner, the interior is in pretty good shape (not perfect, but pretty good), and it's fully set up with heaters for running SVO in the front tank (I've got 10k miles on SVO, so it's a fairly stable system). I don't have any evidence of DCA usage before I got it, but I've been good with it since I bought it, so I'm thinking the engine ought to be ok, and the frame is solid. It's got four brand new tires plus a spare. I just did the ball joints last weekend, and the wheel cylinders a month before that.
I live in KY but go to school in TN, and around here, trucks like this go for wildly varying numbers. I don't really know how much to ask for it whole, and I don't really know how much work it would be to part it out, but I do know that I really need to minimize my loss on this truck and I've got an entire month of christmas break coming up where I could strip it and get most of it sold for parts. Any thoughts? Help me out, I'm a little disenheartened - I really like this truck, but I just can't keep it anymore.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice,

-N

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id run it in the messanger and classifieds as a WVO truck. I can think of a few folks who might bite.
If you want to part it, how about deciding tonight. I am headed to cornersville in the AM to pick up an F-350 so I can put the engine in the ****** truck. I'd just as soon buy your engine.

Last edited:

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to let you have the motor - but I really need to maximize my cash, with the whole becoming a real person in six months thing. Parting it out seems like a ton more work, but I'm thinking the money's there if I do it right. What do you think it's worth one way or the other? Either way, if you need a spare hand dropping whichever motor into that ****** truck, let me know.

-N

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is worth its maximum to someone who wants to run WVO but doesn't have the know how to set up the system. If you can find that person you will be fine. If I were to see it on the street I would say its worth around 2K. Its beat up but not rusty. Post some pictures. You might sell it here.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck I am going to get tommorrow is $1500. I'll give you that for your truck and save me the drive, but you could probably get more for it if you tried.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I think I'll try it out around here and on CL up home over Christmas break, and then re-evaluate parting it if I can't get rid of it. I feel like I ought to be able to get a couple grand for it, especially if I play up the WVO aspect - I can throw in a couple barrels plus some collecting pumps and bag filters to get whoever it is started. I gave a little over 2k for it plus four new tires, hopefully I can get that much out if I work at it.

-N

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I say I gave a little over 2k, I really gave less plus a crappy little convertible I had, so it's not the end of the world if I can't swing the whole thing.

imthemedic

Reaction score
Mt Sterling Area...
I understand I am in the same boat here. I think I have been in school off and on for 15 years lol....

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would sell it whole if I were you. I don't know what IDIs go for in your area but around here, anything that runs well and isn't beat up will sell for about $2500. This is TX, so we assume no rust and deduct a lot if there is any. Play up the WVO setup and any recent work you have done to it.

Parting it out is just a PITA because you'll have Tom, ****, and Harry from everywhere asking you to pull and ship parts to him/her. If you only advertise in your area, you might only sell a few parts and be left with a mostly intact truck that doesn't run and is a PITA for anyone needing a truck to get it on the road. You will probably get scrap price for the rest of it. So, say you sell $1000 in parts and get $600 for scrap. Not as much as if you sold it running and whole.

So, are you joining the military or something? Just curious.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll report back if/when I get rid of it :)
Reason I have to sell is gf and I are getting out of school and moving to Russia. Da! Nyet! (that's all I know so far, I might be in a bit of trouble once I get there...)

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russia? That's an interesting place to go. You'll want to bust out your biggest jacket and pickup a Ushanka because you'll need it! Good luck.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - she's going out for a scholarship to study there and I'll tag along for the hell of it - jobs are pretty easy to get there if you speak English and have a college degree.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waste oil of any kind it getting very hard to find. A company in my region is paying....... yes paying $2/gallon for waste motor/ATF/hydraulic oil. You could get hudreds of gallons of that stuff for free anytime you wanted. Not anymore. Dad's shop has a waste oil burner, thank God he's got thousands of gallons of old oil, otherwise, we'd have no heat in the shop.

Heath