Seized fan clutch!

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Ok y'all. I've tried everything. Ive tried the tool set from AutoZone, tried an air hammer, my pops, father in law, buddy of mine and my brother have all tried their own methods. The damn thing is stuck. Any ideas? I'm trying to replace water pump. And fan clutch lol. We gave it from 8am to 8pm yesterday. And yes, we're turning away from driver side

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... you state your turning the wrench towards the passenger side of the truck ...Thats the wrong direction. The fan clutch nut thread is a left hand thread. So its turn it the direction to tighten a usual thread.Simple rule is righty tighty and lefty loosey. With a left hand thread this rule is backwards. BTW the fan nut thread direction is cast into the fan shroud.

DiecellDan

Reaction score
@icanfixall you said the fan clutch is a left handed thread and needed to follow the lefty loose rules. Then you said a left handed thread should be backwards?

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Ok so, I should be turning right? Towards driver side?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are at the front of the truck looking back at the cab, you want to turn the clutch nut clockwise - top towards the driver's side, bottom towards the passenger's side(if that makes any sense).

Skii

Reaction score
Dude when I rebuilt mine I couldn't get it off either. Literally just left the fan attached to the water pump and pulled the whole thing. Worst case scenario, these fans would lock while engaged so your only problem would be fan operation during highway speeds causing over cooing

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your replacing the clutch and water pump just cut the clutch off at the nut and pull the fan out with the other part of the clutch still attached.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easier too, if you leave the belt on. That way it helps hold the water pump pulley while you try loosen the fan clutch.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced the fan clutches on both my IDI and PSD. On both of them they were tight enough that I used an air chisel.

In any case they probably need some impact. If they are not too tight using a long wrench and smacking the end with a mallet can work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Staff online