Sealing exhaust slip-joint from turbo exhaust housing to downpipe

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[rant]
WHAT IS IT WITH ATS AND SLIP-FIT EXHAUST DOWNPIPES? -cuss -cuss
[/rant]

I finally finished putting the interior of my truck back together last night, and drove it around today for the first time since I got the truck home after finishing the transmission swap. During the transmission swap, the exhaust downpipe needed to be removed, and it was re-installed...at least, I thought it was re-installed properly. I was driving home today, and heard a clunk noise, and the truck started sounding completely different. The engine was actually quieter, and also more responsive to the throttle. I got over to the side of the road to find that the exhaust downpipe had pulled out from the exhaust housing on the turbo. I tried to slip the downpipe back into the turbo, but it popped back out about 30 seconds after I started the truck up. At this point, I decided to just go home and keep EGT's as low as possible until I could get the pipe re-seated.

Now, I don't think I had it installed properly to begin with, even when I put the turbo on last year. So, how exactly is the downpipe supposed to seal in place on the turbo exhaust housing? This is one of ATS's non-wastegated models, and the downpipe literally just slips into place in the exhaust casting on the turbo. I'm having trouble believing that the rest of the exhaust system's supposed to hold the downpipe in place, but maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

Thanks in advance!