Scored a brownie!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Picked up a 4 speed brownie... thing is massive, but I think its doable. The plan is to do a body lift for turbo clearance, so that should also help by allowing me to mount the brownie higher in the frame.

Has great ratios for my truck:
8341-C 2.40,1.28,1.00,.84

With my 3.55 rear axle it changes to 2.98s in OD, 4.57 in UD and 8.52 in Double-under!!

Need to find or build a single stick shifter for it.

Been looking for a 4.56 rear for when we pull our 5er, but this option was less money than most of the rear axles I have found. Of course, getting the drivelines modded to work will cost a few bucks, but there is NO way a 6.9 is ever going to hurt this gear box!

Heading out to tear the top off and see how the internals look.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
A few pics...

Internals are solid looking. Gears are humongous!! Especially that double-under gear. There is enough surface rust that has formed from sitting in farmers shed that I will tear it down and clean it all up prior to installation.

Amazingly it takes very little effort to spin the input shaft, even with the cold gear lube in it. Once warmed up it should be even easier.

>>

>>
Ok - die hard Ferd guys... don't shoot me, but its a GM box. (They all come from spicer anyways.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Shift forks look ok- just some rust starting on the ends of the pins:

A couple top shots:

A poor attempt to get the part number off the OD gear:

I ordered a service manual off flea-bay before I tore into it... now looking at how dead simple these boxes are I'm guessing I paid $21 for a 2 page pamphlet!!LOL

Last edited:

awhtx

Reaction score
Did you get any mounting brackets with it?
Looking forward to seeing photos of it installed in truck.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I am curious to see how one is mounted. Is it like a divorced t-case?

Yes, you can find one with a double yoke so basically its like a divorced transfer case or you can find one like I have that has the aux box hooked in with the main box and then allows you to run a divorced transfer case.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Pic of a divorced model and illustration of a married model.

Attachments

• AUXTrans.jpg
    AUXTrans.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 16
  • auxtrans2.jpg
    auxtrans2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 23

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Did you get any mounting brackets with it?
Looking forward to seeing photos of it installed in truck.

It has the two rear holes cast into the case.

The front has a bracket that looks like a collar and rides on the front of the input shaft like a carrier bearing- even has a grease fitting so it can move around a little. There is also a plate with shift rod guides built into the front bracket....

So, yes. I believe I have everything I need to hang it.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Very Nice OC!! Im green with Envy

Not posted to make you green; don't go Hulk on me!

I built a spreadsheet that allows one to see all the ratios in High and Low, it shows MPH based on the RPM you choose, or swap rear end ratios to see how that affects everything.

IF you were pulling a really, really heavy load this combo provides some crazy shift combos. Only one overlap: 3 over and 4 under.

If there was a way to post the spreadsheet here I would. Anybody wants to check it out I can e-mail it to you. It was built in Excel 2010, but should work in 2007 also.

Here is a screen shot showing some of it. The blue fields are user adjustable; this one shows 3.55 gears at 3500 rpm with 31 inch tires:

Gotta love the 140 MPH top speed!! Yeah right!

Last edited:

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Nice. I could sure use those flanged outputs; mine are some huge u-joints. Toughest part of this will be finding or fabbing some flanges.

They are dana style joints. Much tougher than what our truck can ever break. More than likely its a 5-15x from napa

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THat thing is in beautiful shape. Just change out the seals on it and fill it with synthetic 30 or 50 wt ATF and you will be good to go. The low range on that thing will let you pull a heavy load up a tree

Any heavy driveline shop can get you yokes and flange yokes of all kinds to fit that thing They are still made. Thank goodness for Spicer interchange. The ujoints those things use are huge, you will not break one

I had all new driveshafts made up from scratch and kept my stock ones , along with keeping the stock center support bearing crossmember intact, that way on long trips, I carry the old stock shafts with me just in case for some strange reason, the brownie manages to fold on me out on the road, I installed the thing to where I could have it towed into ANY idiots shop , and I could point to what they need to do and I could go to the motel and for a max of 2 hours labour for even the biggest moron, the brownie can be removed and thrown in teh bed and the stock driveshafts put back in place

You are going to love that thing for pulling that 5er. It's going to feel like a whole new truck ;Sweet