Schrader valve alternatives

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced/modified the schrader valve with something like a T handle valve that would allow someone to bleed/crank the engine easier with just one person.
Im looking to rig something up, just trying to make life easier;Sweet

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
If you're bleeding the system by yourself just jump the starter solenoid, then you can stand right there in front of the truck and it is easy to bleed the filter shrader with a screwdriver.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never used that. I was thinking of screwing a pressure gage in the hole.

gandalf

Reaction score
It seems to me that the logical answer would be an electric fuel pump. You can turn on the ignition but not crank the engine, just listen to the pump clicking. That would pressurize the fuel filter, and you could bleed the filter, leaving the pump on to provide pressure.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the Schrader valve with a 1/8th inch ball valve.. should work for what you want to do.. On/Off ... Check the thread size, trip to your local hardware store.

Remember, if you leave it open when you are not cranking, it will draw air into the fuel system and compound your problems.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the 2 suggestions here are right on the mark. Jumping the fender mounted solenoid and using an electric lift pump. How can it get any simpler than that. I would not use a gate type valve but maybe a ball valve could work fine too. Mine is easy as pie with the electric lift pump and jumping the solenoid.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive seen push button type bleeders before. I can't remember what on but Ive seen them. Something like that would be ideal in my opinion.

Also get yourself a remote start switch instead of using a screw driver. It makes things a lot easier and its much safer.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 Philips screwdriver wrapped up in a rag to open the bleeder and absorb the fuel, 5/8" wrench to jump the fender relay and crank the engine - simple and easy.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I usually jump the starter out on the fender and bleed with the other hand. It works, buts it's awkward and especially so in the dark. And the electric fuel pump is a great idea, but; I'm a stubborn individual who prefers to keep the mechanical lift pump.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it suck air in when you hold the Schraeder valve open without cranking the engine? If I'm right on that youd get air in it when you stop cranking and walk around the truck to close your bleeder

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it suck air in when you hold the Schraeder valve open without cranking the engine? If I'm right on that youd get air in it when you stop cranking and walk around the truck to close your bleeder

The spring keeps it closed until you push it in...so it is only open when you are pushing in on it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to suggest that there's anything wrong with an electric pump, or any of the suggestions above, but if you really do want to put a ball valve in to bleed and not worry about letting any air in, you could put a small check valve on the outlet of the ball valve. You could also put a little nipple with some clear urethane tubing on the outlet of the check so you could bleed your new device into a little container and not make a mess.

Good luck whichever way you end up going, you have lots of good options.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I made the suggestion of using a 1/8th inch ball valve, my thought was to also use a remote start on the relay so you could crank the engine and open the ball valve at the same time, then close the ball valve when you got steady no air fuel out of the filter.

If you open a ball valve and crank from the cab, as a one man operation, by the time you get to the engine to close the ball valve, it's likely you will have drained back fuel from the open valve and ingested air back into the system.

I thought of the nice little stainless 1/4 turn ball valves like is used on the ice maker connection for a refrigerator, for example..