SCA question

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
They are not the same. They have different chemicals. Don't remember what the difference is off hand though.

"Q: I have other SCAs from Fleetguard or NAPA, what will work with my engine?

A: Most any SCAs will work as long as you follow the directions on their labels. If you buy SCAs from Dodge/Cummins/Fleetguard then it won't be called VC-8, it will be called DCA-4. VC-8 is what Ford sells. It is the exact same stuff as VC-8 and they are compatible with each other.

Not only does Cummins have their own SCAs but so does NAPA. The only difference here is that NAPA SCAs are not compatible with Ford's or Fleetguard's.

Some SCAs are not compatible because they use different formulations of chemicals to achieve the protection from cavitation. Ford and Fleetguard are compatible, and Wixkool and Napakool are compatible.

Napa's SCAs are called NAPAKOOL, this is also the same stuff as WIXCOOL. Napakool, Wixcool, DCA-2 and Pencool are the old SCA formulations. They are still useful in preventing cavitation but one would assume the newer SCAs are better in someway or else they wouldn't have updated them to DCA-4 and such. Ford's SCAs have also gone through evolution, they started with FW-14, then FW-15, FW-16, then latest is VC-8. No clue why the change in prefixes from FW to VC though."

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So by using this stuff i am preventing cavitation but not as good as if i used a newer formulation? The story behind this is trusty blew a heater hose the other day so i got that fixed and then just filled the system up with water and what little antifreeze i had in the shop to get me buy. Sense i haven't had time to stop by ford and buy there SCA's i just needed something to put in to get me by so that's when napa gave me this Napakool. I hope to drain the system and install my coolant filter and then refill it properly so this is just to get me by till then.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The Napa stuff will work just fine.

DCA-2 and DCA-4 both work just fine. Neither one is better than the other. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but what matters is they stop cavitation.

If your feeling bored you can google them and come up with some good reading! I forget the site name but there is one that explains both in great depth.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since your going to replace all the coolant, fully drain it, by fully I mean the block also, there are two plugs on the block, one on each side, pass side is behind the starter, drivers side is at the rear. Flush with clean water, drain again. Then fill with FleetGard the concentrated jugs, 4 gallons, then top off with 4 gallons of steam distilled water from the grocery store, your good for 100,000 miles. The FleetGard contains all the SCA you need, no need to add anymore. FleetGard can be obtained at any IH truck dealer and other places.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the 4 gallons of Fleetguard cost?, im needing to rebuild my oil cooler this next eek or so.

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while Im here, where is the best place to buy my oil cooler gaskets? and what are they going to run me?

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA carrys Fleetguard also. I get the pre mixed pink stuff from them, at about $15 a gallon. 6'ish gallons to fill I think. I think the pink stuff was called Fleet Charge though. It has a nice picture of trucks on the front :)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NAPA carrys Fleetguard also. I get the pre mixed pink stuff from them, at about $15 a gallon. 6'ish gallons to fill I think. I think the pink stuff was called Fleet Charge though. It has a nice picture of trucks on the front :)

Just to add more confusion..

FleetGUARD is DCA-4

FleetCHARGE is DCA-2

They sound similar but are two different products.

Heath