Saved this old girl from the crusher today

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Family friend of mine called and asked if I would want the old 1 ton that I took a liking to at his house some years ago. Apparently the city said it needed to go.. $400 bucks and it ran just fine when parked 6 years ago.

She's ugly on the surface but she's got good bones, and I just know she's gonna fire up for me.

The tow truck driver was green as a leprechaun and was visibly shaken towing this beast 77 miles lol

Just wanted to share.. Not many of these trucks coming out of the woodwork these days

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice save for the money. Is this an 88 or 98 truck? What are your plans for the "old girl"...

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice save for the money. Is this an 88 or 98 truck? What are your plans for the "old girl"...

It's an 1987. The starter is bad from what I'm told and 2 of 3 bolts are out, so I'll start there. Clean and check the intake, fresh batteries, I'll run a tube from the lift pump to fresh diesel, change the fuel filter and spice it up with some diesel clean, crack an injector and see if she lives.

Then it will probably sit for a while until I decide what to do with it lol

The original receipt is in the truck, they paid 17,500 for it brand new. It also came with some big ass chains and an old school Milwaukee sawzall, so that was a nice bonus

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do my eyes decieve me or are the factory taillights on the back under the flatbed haha

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an 1987. The starter is bad from what I'm told and 2 of 3 bolts are out, so I'll start there. Clean and check the intake, fresh batteries, I'll run a tube from the lift pump to fresh diesel, change the fuel filter and spice it up with some diesel clean, crack an injector and see if she lives.

Then it will probably sit for a while until I decide what to do with it lol

The original receipt is in the truck, they paid 17,500 for it brand new. It also came with some big ass chains and an old school Milwaukee sawzall, so that was a nice bonus
I'd probably just put fresh batteries in it, check the glow plugs and give it a crank. It might well fire up in 30 seconds or so(do check the bleeder on the filter to make sure you are getting fuel); older diesel doesn't go bad really.
Did this with an engine sitting for 10 years in the truck; hotwired it and used ether and it actually fired and ran!
IDIs are really hard to kill.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably just put fresh batteries in it, check the glow plugs and give it a crank. It might well fire up in 30 seconds or so(do check the bleeder on the filter to make sure you are getting fuel); older diesel doesn't go bad really.
Did this with an engine sitting for 10 years in the truck; hotwired it and used ether and it actually fired and ran!
IDIs are really hard to kill.

Normally I would but the gas caps have been off for the better part of a decade and something that enjoys peanuts was seeking refuge in the intake tube

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great save, the truck in my id was saved the day before a property was being cleaned for a 4th of July party. Stopped by to ask the owner about the party and ended up going home with a truck. ;) She sat for over five years with the old starter in the floorboard. New starter, charge batteries, and bleed injectors and drove it home. They are amazingly tough simple trucks.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great save, the truck in my id was saved the day before a property was being cleaned for a 4th of July party. Stopped by to ask the owner about the party and ended up going home with a truck. ;) She sat for over five years with the old starter in the floorboard. New starter, charge batteries, and bleed injectors and drove it home. They are amazingly tough simple trucks.

That's what I love about them..