Saved from neglect

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my '85 hauler a few years back. Since then I've seen it occasionally show up for sale on CL. A couple months ago it showed up for sale again. It seemed that the current owner didn't know much about the truck. So I emailed him and told him its history and some details. He gave me some updates on the current condition and how he came to own it. Seems that it hasn't had the best care in recent times.

earlier this week I recieved an email from the current owner asking if I was interested in buying the truck. Well he made me a deal I couldn't refuse so it is in my yard once again. Here are some pics from today.

You must be registered for see images attach

The 7.3 is gone and a 6.9 from an IH application is in it complete with the 2800 rpm governor. The Banks turbo is still on it but the Banks ram air intake is gone and a tuner car air filter is in its place. The motor runs strong. the interior is now missing its side panels. At least the captain chairs and the conversion van type sofa bed are still in it. The body is still fairly straight but is in dire need of a paint job. Someone cut about 16" off the stacks-cuss

It's nice to have my old friend back. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. I've thought about lengthening it again and grafting a crewcab into it. I'll probably just find somebody who loves IDIs and has the same fondness I have for the Ol' Hauler and sell it to them.

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Hey, where's the info on the custom work that's been done to it (bed and body)?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thats a pretty sweet rig. Are those 70's style ford truck tail lights I spy under the tailgate?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That hauler is an awesome looking IDI. Looks like it could use some help regarding the paint job and a bit of interior work. Otherwise looks great. It's big and heavy though so it could probably do well to have a brownie or a GV or Doug Nash behind it.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cow motif would work in WI too. Trust me on this one.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How much would you want for a truck like that? I am going to texas to pick up a new big rig for my boss sometime in June, and I had my heart set on a nice rust free 5.0 hatchback 'stang........but if I can talk her into letting me have a nice "camper" lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor thing... it has a lot of potential, but obviously needs a lot of TLC. It must be tough taking it back in worse shape than you gave it up in. ;Sweet

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, where's the info on the custom work that's been done to it (bed and body)?

All the custom work was done by Schwalbe Mfg. when the truck was brand new. It was their "Dakota II" conversion package. The "sleeper' is 55" The WB is 190" The fuel tanks and gooseneck hitch are under trap doors in the bed.

Sycostang, the taillights are Ford Van units.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would you want for a truck like that? I am going to texas to pick up a new big rig for my boss sometime in June, and I had my heart set on a nice rust free 5.0 hatchback 'stang........but if I can talk her into letting me have a nice "camper" lol

I paid $1800 to get it back. I would let it go to someone who loves IDIs for the same. Delivery could be arranged depending where.

It is sad to see it now. It used to be a beautiful truck. Originally it was 2 tone light tan and the upper areas were dark brown. I owned it for years and pulled alot of trailers with it. It rarely moved without a trailer behind it.

The truck is an old friend. I would love to see it fixed up and on the road doing what it does best.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

;Sweet Now you're a'talkin' !!! ;Sweet

That is almost exactly what I have in mind for two of my projects, a 1972 Ford Hi-Boy that is soon going on the 1991 Dodge/Cummins chassis that is sitting next to it, and a 1990 W-250 Dodge/Cummins.

My plans are to go a full 8-foot wide with the addition, plus the hi-rise above the existing cab.

I love that Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser look; it's even better when you add the little windows.

QUESTIONs

Is there a door that I am not seeing, or do you have to enter the addition from the front ??

Is the Vista-Cruiser roof open above the original cab, increasing head-room, or is it merely for looks ??

That truck is truly unique; maybe not one-of-a-kind, but for certain not one you will see very often.

It's good you are so far away; I have too many projects as it is. LOL

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser look; it's even better when you add the little windows.

QUESTIONs

Is there a door that I am not seeing, or do you have to enter the addition from the front ??

Is the Vista-Cruiser roof open above the original cab, increasing head-room, or is it merely for looks ??

That truck is truly unique; maybe not one-of-a-kind, but for certain not one you will see very often.

The truck is only a 2 door. You can only enter the rear from the front. I've been thinking about grafting a 4 door cab into it. The truck will be just over 24' long then, it's a little over 21' now.

The roof of the original cab is cut back to match the raised roof. Plenty of head room. It originally had windows in the raised section above the cab. i had them filled in a number of years ago. The windows would leak and too much light came in from the clearance lights.

Over the years I've only ever seen 2 other trucks like this one. One was identical to mine, same colors even. I saw it in Washington state back in '04. The other was in a old U.S. gear brochure. It had to be done by the same company because it looked just like mine except it was done with a 4 door cab. It was 4 door with the full raised roof like mine and only 20" of the addition to the rear of the cab. So it was the same overall length as mine. It had the same bed and everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.