Safe starting fluid?

Ford420ci6point9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any certain products that is safe to help start an idi? Or is disconnecting all the glowplugs the only way? I was forced to use brakleen to start it because I was low on battery and the only jump I had was a 1999 Ford Focus with, get this, a 3 cell optima battery I don't even know how it starts the damn car. Anyway any suggestions?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The safest is to disconnect/disable glow plugs and give a quick shot of ether while cranking.

WD40 is gentler as is holding a gas dampened rag over the intake.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Safer? Yes, use the block heater.....
Could permanently disable the gp's and install a ether injection system. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had to use ether only a few times and they all were at -15 f and I thurne the key on and after what was left of the glow plugs cycled I gave it a shot on the air filter not down the her gullet than she fired just fine

Seasill

Reaction score
I always just turn key on... Wait..... Light goes off.... Wait longer, 2 mins maybe give her some bill Cosby in a can... And send her all the way.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas soaked rag is my go to. I have also dripped gas in the intake when a rag wasnt handy or I didn't have anyone to hold the rag.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that below freezing, the recent ether concoctions are pretty pathetic. Like dont work well at all. I know they are mixtures and only partially ether anymore, dunno what percentages and what else is in there.

+1 for block heater!
+1 for gas soaked rag!
Also if you can vaporize gas like with a spray bottle itll run as long as you keep squeezing it. But the gas dissolves the plastic so it's more like one-time use. If you can find a metallic version let me know.

And yeah just waiting a minute or two before starting works good. I actually caught my intake on fire once by cranking too close to the GP cycle when using ether. My face was close enough to freak me out pretty good.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time my truck has seen either is when the glow plugs were completely dead away from home. One time I ran my salamander in front of the truck for an hour to avoid either lol. Makes me cringe hearing either in my motor, it’s like I can hear the rods bending lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another great thing about manual glowplugs. You can safely use ether because you are in control of the plugs. Also, if your battery is almost dead, the glowplug controller is going to make it worse each time you turn the key. With a manual button you can turn the key without glowing the plugs, saving all the juice to just turn the starter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That red pressure can from Amazon is a tool I have used for years. Just don't fill it much more than 2/3 full.Air is what makes the solvent get blown out of it like a can of paint or ether.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I haven’t yet had time to build a glow plug system for the shop truck. Couple 20* mornings I’ve had give it a whiff of ether and it will light right off. Ethers a lot like nitrous, “nitrous doesn’t kill engines, people do”

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you unplug 2-3 glow plugs(on a 7.3-style GP setup), the controller won't cycle the others long enough to light off Ether.
You can also just leave the key on for a couple minutes for the GPs to cool down, then spray ether and crank.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always just turn key on... Wait..... Light goes off.... Wait longer, 2 mins maybe give her some bill Cosby in a can... And send her all the way.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Lol I've watched that ziptiesand biasplys on you tube that guy crackes me up and if you want to see a idi take a whooping look up slave lake on the old you tube it will make you laugh and cringe all at once