Safe starting fluid?

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just use one shot starting fluid and let glow plugs warm and starts first time, every time used! If you get back fire; do a compression check because you have a leaky intake valve. I have seen someone use a half of can before and had a run away motor. But the best runaway I have seen was gas on a rag over air cleaner. LOL that was the best of the best. And if you are jumping just hook up cables and turn on lights of truck and let the batteries charge for twenty min because using electric flow will warm batteries for a good start condition. Good Luck

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like we said people kill motors give her a good snort of ether and crank as long as the glow plugs are not on

Edit theWespaul said that not we I meant to say Wes

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi, brakleen will rip the rings out of a perfectly good engine. I know some idiots that did it to a C9 cat engine.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never use starting fluid in an idi engine even with glow plugs disconnected. those precups come loose and will take out headgaskets. with a direct injection engine no biggie.

I used 2 cans of brake clean to bring a 3208 powered L8000 into the shop on a winter night but the engine was already broken and I didn't care!

Seasill

Reaction score
How would they come loose?
never use starting fluid in an idi engine even with glow plugs disconnected. those precups come loose and will take out headgaskets. with a direct injection engine no biggie.

I used 2 cans of brake clean to bring a 3208 powered L8000 into the shop on a winter night but the engine was already broken and I didn't care!

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Seasill

Reaction score
My thoughts are...

1. You are injecting via the intake valve, rather than initiating combustion in the pre-chamber

2. Ether has less energy per mass than diesel.... Its not like your running straight ether... Its diluted some with diesel...the ether just combusts which combustes the diesel.

I suppose a determined idiot will always find a way....

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did lots of warranty work on 6.9 and 7.3 idi engines loose precups and blown headgaskets were common on engines started with ether. if we could smell ether or found it in the vehicle >judgement call to decline warranty. they came with lots of warnings.......... I never got to mkae the final call, unfortunately I was an apprentice and always got the Eseries , never the Fseries. :frustrate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US