run away starter

jhowse

Reaction score
Went to start my truck this morning truck didnt start, and the starter wouldnt cut off. Could this be happening because of low batteries or the soleniod sticking. I hit the starter with a hammer (that fixed it) and put a battery charger on but i dont need that thing running all the time the starter is less than a month old it was installed by th previous owner.:dunno any ideas.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Stuck solenoid. A buddy of mine installed a new starter in his nissan. It wouldn't start, a light smack with a jack handle got it turning......and another smack with the handle got it to stop turning.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low batteries will weld the contacts and cause this.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
This is just one reason I think a battery disconnect would be a good idea. It would give you some time to pop the hood and then switch it off.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my truck, it was the starter relay mounted to the fender that went bad, only way I could get it to shut off was to pull the battery cables.

Now I have a battery shutoff hooked to each battery.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my truck, it was the starter relay mounted to the fender that went bad, only way I could get it to shut off was to pull the battery cables.

Now I have a battery shutoff hooked to each battery.

Actually now that I think back, I had a Peterbilt with an ISX do the same thing...the solenoid stuck on and it burnt up the cables. It even welded teh disconnect switch so I couldn't turn it off...it was stuck in the "on" position and I couldn't get it off. I was pretty panicked as it was the brand new truck and the pride of the fleet....bolt cutters solved my problem.

This is just one reason I think a battery disconnect would be a good idea. It would give you some time to pop the hood and then switch it off.

You just reminded me of something...I just ignited another thread, thanks dude!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice idea.
problem is the amp rating on most battery dinconects are awfully low.

That is just what I was thinking - Mr.T showed over 600 amps on the starter during a cold start, and this is with good batteries, that must be one big disconnect assembly to handle that kind of power...

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
This is what I have on mine:

You must be registered for see images

One on each battery hooked to the ground.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
had a starter on mine, worked fine till the batts went dead, then it stuck on.
once batts were charged its ok

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine done this awhile back when it was super cold, then when it warmed up it stopped doing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online