Rough start dies on the road

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a interstate battery somewhat local, look into their blem batteries.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Closest one is about 2 1/2 hours away n didn't think of that there is a place close to be that does whole sale used batteries n one of the ones I got for the wife car worked good no issues just the one i got for the truck sucks n doesn't even register high on a battery charger the temps.been dipping low as well in single digits if that means any thing

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe I found a issue with the brown monster as the wife calls her was fine all week filled her up with number 2 diesel only station in town not packed was a truck stop bout ten miles from me well hauled a washer n dryer set home all fine got to about 9f temp last night set Howes in it earlier in the week so no gelled lines, started her up this am about 22 f temp n smelled smoked figured ok just wife grandma using her wood stove no issue but went to open my gate to drive out n seen smoke by the hood got her back to front yard parked popped hood n see her on fire behind the air filter used water to get her set out n here is the results.

No clue what this part is but here is several pictures.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glowplug controller/relay burnt up real good.
It's possible the accelerator cable shorted it.

Will have to see how much all that will cost me my.father in law supposed to help me remove stuff to make it easier to get to n pull it in his shop since it's like 29f temp out n he has professional tools, thanks for the help sir

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Honestly I would pull the engine harness, remove any burnt wiring. Likely make up a new glowplug harness.
Then get a heavy duty relay to run the glowplugs off a push button.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would pull the engine harness, remove any burnt wiring. Likely make up a new glowplug harness.
Then get a heavy duty relay to run the glowplugs off a push button.

Father in law just said same thing a few minutes ago lol going to haul it to a family garage that's heated in the am n let him do his magic n learn the push button

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If y'all are local to each other, that's not a bad idear.
Either way, I would still recommend the push button.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks thewespaul if I lived closer or had the funds I'd take you up on that offer the father inlaws mechanic races as well n has a idi in his yard last I checked n did push button just hoping he will cut me a deal thanks to all for helping

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb ? Can i just remove that part n still run the truck with out a gp controller or even a switch to heat the gp's up or would that further mess stuff up n not even start at all

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was curious on the idea about picking up a gp controller/relay from a junkyard until I can get a push button or a brand new one just to keep the truck original as possible since in a og style person for idi's as for other rigs custom is unique. Just throwing it out there

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the gp controller took about a hour cleaned other stuff while I was replacing the controller in a few months will just do a push button here is the after picture $20 at a junkyard brand-new is over $100

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yikes about the fire. Someone here warned me of that because the cover over my controller is missing too. I added plastic wire wrap over my throttle cable to add extra insulation to help prevent shorting/fire until I can find a replacement cover to buy.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes about the fire. Someone here warned me of that because the cover over my controller is missing too. I added plastic wire wrap over my throttle cable to add extra insulation to help prevent shorting/fire until I can find a replacement cover to buy.
Never seen a cover over one but will have a look at another one I seen in the junkyard soon to buy for spare parts n gon wrap the wire n throttle cable up with wire wrap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online