Rough start dies on the road

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So about a month should my 93 idi had a battery replaced my passenger side went dead when temps hit mid 20's wife's 98 olds 88 battery as well any way ever since then my truck will have a rough start my batteries are good though one is used off my in-laws 2 ton Ford diesel.

Going down the road it will just randomly shut off fuel filter motorcraft brand n oilfilter n oil are all new I've ran seafoam n diesel klean in it has 155k miles has the usual white smoke whenever it's get to the mid 20's never had to plug it in issue just start start of November of this year after I replaced the battery n the fuel filter has me confused cause doesn't happen all the time thought it might of been bad fuel but have fuel cleaners not sure how to take tanks.off n have them cleaned out since it's my daily driver. Sorry long post just has be confused n dumbfounded n first Ford diesel

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does it do when it shuts off. Is it quick like when you turn it off or does it stumble before it dies. Does it run rough at all?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will cut all power n have to roll to a stop then when I try to start it just doesn't want to turn over it'll take like 5 minutes n doesn't always run rough just the past month itll act like it's going to die when i start it up if it's below 40's f temp then it idles fine just randomly will it shut off I've changed fuel filter air filter all motorcraft haven't changed glow plugs at all n the diesel is winter blend n a good source

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you have it die try pouring some cold water over the injection pump and see if it start up better, if it does then you need a new pump

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it shuts off is it instentanious or stumbles to a stop?
Stumbles to a stop some times other times it's just a instant stop today was heading home doing 60mph on highway n just shut off dead stop near shoulder of the road took almost 15 minutes for it to get the urge to crank over

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds electrical. When it dies does it crank but not start or not even crank? If you have a multimeter next time it does see the voltage going to the fuel shutoff solenoid ontop of the injection pump

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will try n crank sometime n does that glow plugs warm up but won't turn over,then other times it won't even crank after Christmas going to get two new batteries like I seen on here the tough Maxx ones n after that save to eventually get a complete over haul where I live it's hard to find a good diesel shop to touch a truck older then a 94. My engine code though has a L n stamped 11 92 1/2 but title says 93 n so does running the VIN just had me dumbfounded

hadley000

Reaction score
It will try n crank sometime n does that glow plugs warm up but won't turn over,then other times it won't even crank after Christmas going to get two new batteries like I seen on here the tough Maxx ones n after that save to eventually get a complete over haul where I live it's hard to find a good diesel shop to touch a truck older then a 94. My engine code though has a L n stamped 11 92 1/2 but title says 93 n so does running the VIN just had me dumbfounded
I had a 91 gasser F150 that would do this and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I don't know if it's the same on these trucks but I'd try it out. If you can jiggle the switch a bit and get it to start that's the problem.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 91 gasser F150 that would do this and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I don't know if it's the same on these trucks but I'd try it out. If you can jiggle the switch a bit and get it to start that's the problem.
Jiggled the switch might just change the fuel/lift pump at 156k might need it the glow plugs will change since I've owned it never have changed them added some sea foam n Howes since it's getting in the upper 20's at night

Do wonder if I can run Howes seam foam n diesel kleen all at the same time

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it start after jiggling the key? Plan on fixing some of the wiring connections to the glowplugs too, they disintegrate over time. 4 out of 8 were gone when I did mine.
Nope I believe the culprit is one of my batteries is going back after the new yr going to spend some cash on two tough Maxx ten yr warranty ones was going to go with 1k cold crank ones but there way to high where I am right now $350 for two batteries is high for me right now n those are 850 cold crank it's over $600 for the 1k cold crank

hadley000

Reaction score
Nope I believe the culprit is one of my batteries is going back after the new yr going to spend some cash on two tough Maxx ten yr warranty ones was going to go with 1k cold crank ones but there way to high where I am right now $350 for two batteries is high for me right now n those are 850 cold crank it's over $600 for the 1k cold crank
I bought 2 new Walmart Maxx batteries a month or so ago for less than $100 each. They are 850 CCA. We had -9f last night and the truck started fine on two glowplug cycles, it took some cranking but the batteries had plenty of power. They come with a 5 yr warranty.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might get those my wife works at Walmart n a few buddies of mine work in there tle department which is there tire n lube section so might use her n there discount for some unknown reason the truck likes number 2 diesel n only shut off n ran rough twice since it has gotten to 13 f temp this am n to only a high of 27 this weekend supposed to be in single digits n I'm changing jobs so might pick couple batteries up n more fuel treatments

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online