Rough ride

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After changing my rear u joints and shocks all around I'm still getting a rough ride at 60-70 mph, kinda feels like I'm driving on a washboard road if a hit a certain spot on the hwy that has a few bumps in the road.

Any suggestions

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires balanced recently? Bigger tires will get lumpy over time and need rebalanced.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't pulled the tires off all since I've owned it, the tires are 32's or 33's I think, I could probably have then balanced this weekend. Any other things to consider?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotate the tires and see if that changes the ride. If it does, that's a clue that they're due for balancing.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What shocks?

Unloaded?

Tire psi?

I use Bilstein 4600 series shocks and run 60 psi front and 50 psi rear. It does not ride great and I get some bucking depending on the speed and section of freeway but overall it is not harsh and rides better than a clapped out 1-ton.

I could definitely stand to lower the tire psi. I always keep the rear tank full and suck off the front, it makes a big difference when the rear tank runs low.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always keep the rear tank full and suck off the front, it makes a big difference when the rear tank runs low.
Doesn't that mean you have chronically stale fuel in the rear tank, and a "use it or lose it" selector valve that isn't regularly being checked (by being used)? 'Course, we seldom have less than 2-300 pounds (and usually more) of tools, parts, gear, whatever in the bed, and 100 lb (or whatever) of topper, so 100-ish lb of fuel has never made much difference.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that mean you have chronically stale fuel in the rear tank, and a "use it or lose it" selector valve that isn't regularly being checked (by being used)? 'Course, we seldom have less than 2-300 pounds (and usually more) of tools, parts, gear, whatever in the bed, and 100 lb (or whatever) of topper, so 100-ish lb of fuel has never made much difference.

Not at all, unfortunately as you know it doesn't take long to burn through a tank when loaded at freeway speeds. Once i hit a 1/4 to an 1/8 tank I top it off using my auxillary tank.

I should have mentioned that my aux tank is usually full as is the truck box, I can't remember the last time the truck was truly unloaded.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worn cab, bed and leaf spring bushings will contribute to harshness.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked my tire pressure in a while, but I'm taking it to Les Schwabs tomorrow to have them check every thing.
I'm pretty sure my leafspring bushings are bad and I know my radiator support bushings are cracked.
I always keep my hubs unlocked.

How often do you need to replace the leaf springs.

I should mention that I do have helper springs in the rear.