rough idle, lots of blue and white smoke. takes long time to start....

DirtBug66

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Ford f250 with a 7.3idi with a banks turbo and with 90,000 on a rebuilt quote on quote from the old owner... i just started having problems with it and has been parked for a couple of weeks. so it was having a rough time starting like theres air in the lines. then after it would run for a bit it would clear up and run fine... then me and my lady took it on vaction and after the hotel it didnt want to start at all. now she dont like my truck... need less to say it started to feel like no horsepower was there when you steeped on the gas pedal. then i let it sit for a week with fresh diesel. then i started it after it took awhile and the warm up idle was fine until it dropped and now it doesnt idle when its warm it justs dies. also i think i have too much blow by in the cyindlers cause what i was told that the oil tube that comes down from the turbo to the manifold is leaking hella bad. so i fixed that but it havnt drivin it in awhile it find out if it still leaks. so my question is i think that my injection pump is bad i notice the idle was all the way up and it didnt want to run. and also is it possible i need a rebuild my motor? Thanks Travis

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if someone swapped out the original 6.9 for a 7.3, then as long as the 7.3 fuel filter came along with it, then that filter does water seperation also. If this IP and injectors has 90K on it, then yes I would proceed directly to our Fuel Injection Servicing article, and read up!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in pleasanton. I'm going today to pickin pul going to find an injection pump.
i have a used pump here that has heat soak issues. if you want to use it for diagnostic purposes, i can loan it out. when it's cold it has no problems but will leave you walking when warm. still, it's good for diagnostic.
if you can confirm a good motor and a bad pump, get a Uhaul pump for $274 rebuilt.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Coast Injection Pump that's rebuilt. ill put it on 2morrow. What's the trick on the timing?
that pump is at least a couple of years old. they've been out of business for at least that long.
look at the pic below for what you need to time one of these pumps.

Attachments

• SL378670.JPG
    SL378670.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 14