Return Line Changeout

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have wanted to change my 3/16 return line to the 1/4 inch size but what a mess this has turned into. Of course I have the hard line running down the drivers side intake with the brass 3 way fitting way back at number 8 injector... Under the turbo. So trying to get that line and fitting out from under the heard lines and out from under the turbo intake housing I have really hurt my stomache on the hood latch and everything else that has gotten in the way of me. Hopefully I have done the hard side but we will see later today., I realize none of this happened because I have no pics to show. Well suck it up buttercup. Will be no pics. Or you can cry me a river.. Build me a bridge and get over it.....:angel::angel::angel:;p

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this supposed to be a sympathy thread?? :popcorn
Haha, why the changeover?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who hasn't done awkward yoga positions getting to the back of our engines??

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who hasn't done awkward yoga positions getting to the back of our engines??

I was switching out my hard lines like two weeks ago, I finally gave up and just sat on top of the radiator, rather than kneeling on the core support (it was hot, knees were getting toasted). I will say, even though it's nice to have this big engine compartment in which to work, getting up and around to stuff in the rear center is a PITA -cuss

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo or not working on the firewall end of the engine is never a good day. Sounds like ya need a calming beverage of sorts Gary. Maybe 2. ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holds up hands, and rubs index fingers and thumbs together.
this is the sign of the worlds smallest violins playing " my heart bleeds for you" LOL

Gary, if you have the hard line from the ip leading to the back of the engine, and the corresponding manifold, wouldnt it be a 4 way fitting??? ;Poke

not only does that line suck, but it makes it a pita to time your IP.
i deleted that line! ran the IP to the forward most drivers side cap, and used a T to cross over inbetween both banks and to the return.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Accounts like this is why I want a topside creeper......

You must be registered for see images attach

I know that OLDBULL8 had made on that he attaches to his cherry picker.........

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have really hurt my stomache on the hood latch and everything else that has gotten in the way of me.
I know that OLDBULL8 had made on that he attaches to his cherry picker.......

It was a GUT reaction to a terrible pain. Three Pain adjustables in increments of 4", for IDI to PSD.

Attachments

• top side creeper2.jpg
    top side creeper2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 21
  • top side creeper1.jpg
    top side creeper1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 20

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes I recall what Bill made up and was thinking how I could fab one without a welder. Its a bucket list item for sure.
Reason I changed from the smaller size returns to the correct larger size is I never had a return off the filter head till about 2 years ago. Bleeding a new filter took a long time because ALL the trapped air had only the injection pump to find its way back to the tanks. On my return design I run a TEE plastic fitting into the return from the number one cylinder that usually runs back under the intake manifold to the 3 way or as some call it.. 4 way.....;Really:rolleyes::angel: And on the number 2 cylinder is where the return off the injection pump enters the system.. Then that side of the engine flows back to the new to me 3 way fitting that does not have the rubber olive in it. BTW I had to cut down one of those manifold bolts to fit the new fitting back there. Ever try to run a return line under the glow plug solenoid plate that Banks supplies.. It just ain't happening. So you loosen a nut way back under the turbo. the loosen another bolt at the plate and then remove the 2 manifold bolts so the plate comes off. Its also best to remove the solenoid from the plate but.. I felt I may be able to work around it.. Never again will I do that. Oh yes, there's another good idea to remove the filter head support so you have enough room to reach number one cylinder.
I found mt hands are not able to press down the caps till you hear that special snap when they are seated on the injectors. so I found the box end of a 5/8 wrench fits on top of the cap and is easy to get some leverage to press down to seat the caps.. As I get older and weaker I find ways to still fell I can do a job.
Still have a few things to do before I test run this. But the worst part in hopefully done is their are no leaks.. Leaks would really suck and blow at the same time.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Job done... Found one leaker on number one cap. So removed the return line from the filter head. Then the filter head brace. Then the hard line and finally the timing adapter. Found the cap not seated so used my 5/8 box end wrench to push it down and heard the snap.. Put it all back together and it still leaks. So back in again. Figured I may have damaged an o ring.. Nope... I didn't install them on that injector.... Note to self.. Leftover parts were ment to go somewhere and thats not in your pocket. I must have really been hurt and tired last night when I gave in. I do recall setting up o rings in sets of 2 and found I was short 1 set. But then feeling I had installed all of them made me think how did that happen.. did I not count correctly to 8.. Who the hell knows what I was thinking. Probably thinking how much other stuff I should have been doing in the garden of hell. Now the only thing really left other than test drive is the yellow wire connector to my pyro seems to have broken off at the connector. No biggie. Its a compressed wire lug and I can heat it up and drive a screwdriver down into it to open it up. I recall something about the special conductivity of these fitting for the very low voltage that makes the pyro and gauge work. Its notw time for a 2 ltr cool boy.. Dr Pepper is my choice.. Night night guys and others...:eek::angel::D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is this supposed to be a sympathy thread?? :popcorn
Haha, why the changeover?

Had to realize the real reason for this changeout. I so wanted to rid my engine of that silly brass manifold back at cylinder 8 with the hidden olive in it that leaks. many owners with this kind of return line system have no idea this fitting even has a seal inside of it. BTW that seal called an olive is the smaller 5/16 size. Mine has leaked off and on for several months. Funny thing is it normally leaked after a double tank fillup.:dunnocookoo
The nap and nearly 1 ltr of Diet Dr Pepper was great...:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online

Members online