retorqueing heads before turbo kit?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see some vasalating going on still... This is what my stock 89 motor did. I installed a Banks Sidewinder wqstegated turbo at around 89,000 miles. Then I towed heavy with boost at 9 lbs so... That wasn't good enough so I upped the boost so I could use 12 lbs all day long. That motor cavitated around 150,000 miles so it was sleeved on just that cylinder. The other head never came off for a gasket replacement even though I told the shop to do it. They didn't.... ******** anyway. So I finally run the motor into the ground because its drinking 6 gallons of water in the round trip to and from work of 32 miles. I parked it at 376,000 miles. When I pulled it down the oem head gasket was still working fine. Now thats saying something for the bolts and gasket. I ran it hard too. The stock head bolts tested to failure for me at a facility that does plenty of work for NASA at 135,000 psi. They really have plenty of holding power but... I want more so I have the ARP studs at 220,000 psi instaed of the 200,000 psi they sell to everyone. Now do you feel your stock head gaskets are going to fail with a turbo boosting around 10 lbs..... I don't think so Scooter.....:D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
yea, i was wondering about this too, since i will be installing a turbo pretty soon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me re-torquing would mean setting your click-torque to the specified torque setting, and applying it to all the bolts. Not setting it to a higher setting and torquing them down higher than spec. Just torquing any of them that have stretched or loosened a little back up to spec..

My definition of re-torquing would be LOOSENING the bolts, then torquing them up. This is because in my mind, a true torque reading can only be taken while the fastener is in motion.

My money says that as soon as you loosen them, when you go to torque them, they are going to show they are already torqued due to friction. At that point, your screwed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online