Requesting Thoughts on Service Manuals

Justin B

Reaction score
Good morning,

I recently purchased a '90 F-250 Supercab, 2WD, Auto, with the original 7.3 (181k on the clock) and a Banks Kit. I'm already on a mission aquiring some spare parts to have around for a rainy day. I came across an '87 6.9 with a matching ZF5 with transfer case, reportedly a running pair pulled to do an engine swap into another truck, PO lost interest.

I would like to build the 6.9 in the garage, make it plenty capable, possibly aquire some other needed parts for the ZF5, then do one big swap if/when the original gives up the ghost.

Is there a set or service manuals available that cover both engines? What are you guys using for maintenance and repair manuals? I saw the sets on "AndAHardPlace"Auto.com, are these any good and which ones should I get for the truck, and which ones for the engine? Also, would anyone know where I could find a copy of the original owners manual without paying $100?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any substantial difference between the two engines. If your plan is to swap in a 6.9 and keep it I'd buy the manuals for a 6.9 but for all intents and purposes they're basically the same engine. Minor differences (bore size being the main one) but nothing worth fussing about.

That being said... If you're at 181k on your 7.3 you'll be waiting a LONG time for it to die if you take care of it. A buddy of mine scrapped his at approximately 600,000 because the truck rotted out from under it.

If I was looking for service manuals, I'd check ebay. I personally would love to get a set of the Factory Service Manuals in paperback but for $30 you can get them on CD and you won't get grease smears all over the pages that way lol!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-1990-...~wAAOSw8W5aU6TR:sc:USPSFirstClass!14456!US!-1

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay is your best source, personally I would spend the money on paper backs, the way the cd is organized it’s very difficult to quickly look up information. I’m slowly buying up paper backs to replace the cds, they are better than nothing but I still prefer old textbooks

Justin B

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm a fan of paper books as well, I frequent the local bookstores in hopes that my patronage helps to prevent them from going out of business; however a couple hundred for a set of manuals is a bit much when I can get a digital copy for a fraction of the price.

As for the truck, one of the reasons I was drawn to a diesel and specifically the IDI's was the life expectancy. I want to build the 6.9 mildly, as time and funds permit, so I'm in no rush for the 7.3 to roll over. Once the 6.9 is built and in, the 7.3 should still have some life and will become the "just in case" motor.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fyi, service manuals help you with themechanics, but wont do nothin for you on the electrical side.
they have a vacuum and electrical manual for that.

i off the 6.9's when they arrive.
will only build 7.3's

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fyi, service manuals help you with themechanics, but wont do nothin for you on the electrical side.
they have a vacuum and electrical manual for that.

i off the 6.9's when they arrive.
will only build 7.3's
What's wrong with a 6.9, other than the head bolt size?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have several 7.3's
im not throwing a 6.9 into the mix

Justin B

Reaction score
I jumped on the 6.9 because it was an '87, probably wouldn't have bothered if it was any other year. The guy threw in a brand new in box glow plug controller, valley pan gasket and ARP head studs. I liked the price and now I don't have to worry about a questionable 7.3 block. I understand where you're coming from with keeping everything the same, I prefer stock as well but the thicker cylinder walls give me peace of mind, especially if it requires boring to make it right (which hopefully it already is).

Thanks for the heads-up on vacuum an electrical. Did Ford have a supplemental manual for this or is there a good option to look for? The truck will remain stock other than the engine and the Banks kit that's already installed. Thanks for your thoughts!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eBay is your best source, personally I would spend the money on paper backs, the way the cd is organized it’s very difficult to quickly look up information. I’m slowly buying up paper backs to replace the cds, they are better than nothing but I still prefer old textbooks

I used to hate the CD's because the files were just too big to search, but now that I figured out how to break up the PDF into sections, it is a lot easier to negotiate. CTRL+F is awesome too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online