Reputable Mechanic Shops (Northern Cali)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas! It has been over a year since I have posted here on OB. Many changes have happened for me in the past year which is why I haven't had much time to be involved as much as I would like. I can see that we still have the senior members helping others out which is excellent. Hope you guys have been doing well. Lots of new members on here as well. This is the absolute best forum to be apart of when people like me are in need of help and advice. Anyways, hello again to all. I am back ;Sweet

I have been contemplating a few options on what to do with my truck since I no longer use it as much as I would like. It is currently in a garage where I drive it once every couple months or so. I was thinking about selling it last year, but just couldn't bring myself to go that route. So.......thinking it may be time to do a mini restoration on the rig in the near future. This will include a new paint job, minor front end work, head gaskets, and a few odds and ends I cant think of at the moment.

Since I am extremely busy with work and out of the country travel year round, I cant seem to find the time to work on my truck as I was originally intending. A couple years ago, I was planning on pulling heads, getting them checked out by machine shop, installing ARP head studs, resealing oil cooler, getting IP from Mel, new lifters, etc etc. Although engine runs excellent, I think it has a weak lifter or two and would like the peace of mind of studding heads since the original head bolts/gaskets weren't the strong points in these engines. However, circumstances have changed and I may eventually take it into a shop to get this work done. I know there are many diesel shops locally, but none of them are that familiar with the old 6.9's anymore IMO. Ideally, I would like to find a shop that has experience with these antique diesels. So......does anybody know a good mechanic shop in Northern Cali???

Thanks in advance

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in Napa and have no idea! Watch out for sr diesel they are proud of their chitt $210 to time a drive in truck!

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Calvin, (Towcat) is located in the San Fransisco Bay area, San Jose I believe. Not sure how far that is, but, I would trust Calvin and his shop on these trucks. He still makes his living with them.........

gandalf

Reaction score
Calvin the Towcat gets my vote;Sweet. I trust him to do the job right, at a fair price. He does the work on my vehicles when I don't want to or can't.

San jose is just 90 minutes from Stockton, if traffic is decent. It's well worth the drive for a good shop.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Calvin is the hands down person to see for anything idi ford truck related. He has forgotten more than I know about these rigs. Nice shop with many lifts too...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calvin, just wondering if you received my message. I haven't sent a pm in a while and just checking to see if you got it. Let me know thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, just wondering if you received my message. I haven't sent a pm in a while and just checking to see if you got it. Let me know thanks!
the message got lost in my pile of messages. I am taking a few mins to address it in a moment
watch your inbox.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the message got lost in my pile of messages. I am taking a few mins to address it in a moment
watch your inbox.

im still waiting on a return e-mail as well towcat!
i know you're a busy man. and i still don't have a downpipe on my rig yet.
RE: timing and adjusting fuel pressure.