Replace nylon lines on return lines 93 7.3 na

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if or what hose can replace the nylon ones that run on the return lines one of mine is leaking. Can it be replaced by fuel rated hose pic below

You must be registered for see images attach

Also could this #2 diseal cause hiccups in my truck it's at a truck still that is like $0.40 cheaper then other stations pic below n also can it clog fuel filter

You must be registered for see images attach

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
For whatever it's worth I run reinforced braided vinyl tubing I get at Lowes or HomeDepot on all my return lines as well as nearly all my fuel lines. Have been for years running WVO & WMO & it has held up & don't give any trouble. I've also run the straight clear vinyl unbraided tubing on the return lines with no problems, but I'd rather use the braided line.

May be against all IDI rules but been doing it for years & not caught at it. LOL Heck I been known to run nearly anything that will burn....weeds, hay,.... LOL

But seriously though, like genscripter said about the seals, o-rings, & hose, he's right. It will eat up these things. Hose I use works for me.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how well it plays with biodiesel, but the return line from the IP (the one in your pic) and the one from the fuel filter can be replaced with clear line. It's handy to have, if you have air in your system you'll be able to see it. For the rest of the return lines, get the return kit from either typ4 here on the forums or Conestoga Diesel, their kits are the good ones and they come with viton o-rings.

These engines will run biodiesel no problem, but you'll need to carry spare fuel filters because the biodiesel will clean the gunk out of your tank.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP: The pictured hose is just a braid over rubber and is not nylon. And yes you can replace anything in the return or supply system with fuel rated hose.(BioD rated is even better in your case)

+1 viton orings and bio-rated hose! @genscripter knows his stuff for sure. Use wheel bearing grease to assemble the orings/caps for the easiest/best fit. Sounds funny but its true.

Bio D is awesome for lubricity so any time you can get it cheaper that's even better.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help the bio d is at a truck stop near my grandma place been using that station for yrs just now noticed the sticker had me scratching my head if that was causing a fuel filter issue.

I'll check home Depot ttman4

As far as return line kit saving to get one from typ4 or some one else off here have seen plenty of posts about his work.

@genscripter will look in to rock auto/McMaster thnx

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just buy return kits on Ebay - the cheap "diesel care & performance" kit for like $20 works fine for me. The new return caps are cheaply made, so check them for burrs before install. I haven't had an issue myself, but others have.
The O-rings the kit comes with are most likely Viton; I haven't seen any differences between them and the Mcmaster-carr ones(which I also keep a selection of).
The kit comes with some sort of braided-wrapped line that looks like the factory stuff. I haven't had an issue with it, but who knows several years down the road.

Back in August, I was going through Oregon and found a station with fuel much cheaper than the surrounding area. It also had a 20% bio sticker on it. Filled up as much as I could(like 40 gallons worth), and kept on trucking. It ran just the same as other diesel for me; no noticeable differences.

A properly-tuned IDI(timing wise, injectors not leaking, etc) will run on a wide range of stuff well. A friend of mine runs 50/50 mixed filtered WMO and diesel in his. Another guy I know runs filtered WVO mixed with 10% gasoline to thin it out, and apparently has been doing this for years. These old motors and fueling systems are /tough/.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online