Remove for Fording?

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the air cleaner tube where it hooks onto the metal air cleaner aswell as the plastic intake it says "remove for fording"

Now anyone know what this mean?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
well im assuming you're talking about the intake hose running to the thing at the grill.
If its a 6.9 then by removing that intake tube you're giving the engine atleast another 9 inches of submerge able area.
Just my thoughts.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah thats the tube running to the grill it says "disconnect for fording"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disconnect in the wintertime or if you live in areas where you may drive through more than one foot of standing water.
our diesels don't do well at all when they ingest water. immediate cardiac arrest comes to my mind.
87 and up intake snorkels were moved a little higher so the chances of your truck drowning is lessened.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah dont get much extreme winter here in East Tx

I just never heard of fording before

Thought maybe thats where the ether went when the glow plugs burnt out lol

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fording...

Fording reminds me of The Oregon Trail game, anybody play it?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Just to be helpful, or a smart ass:

ford[2,transitive verb]

Main Entry: 2ford
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1614
: to cross (a body of water) by wading
— ford·able \ˈfȯr-də-bəl\ adjective

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a story to go with the sticker or imprint. The 83's did not have them, and I'm not sure the 84's did either. There was a very vocal individual who somehow managed to get his story published in a lot of magazines about how he forded a stream, and sucked up water into his new in-warranty F series truck. His dealer would not warranty the bent connecting rod or other water related damage, so he wrote to Ford. Ford responded by sending him a sticker, with instructions to apply the sticker in the location indicated. Obviously the guy thought this was rather gratuitous and so he tried to rally support by making his story known to as many as he could. Needless to say, I didn't at the time meet anyone who had any sympothy for the guy. True, the intake was pretty low, and moved to the top of the core support in subsequent years, but you would think if your going to take your truck where a boat would normally go, you might re-think the application a bit. :rolleyes:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was wrenching at a Jeep dealer many moons ago when one of the salesmen decided that he could just whomp his CJ across a creek without checking it first... from what I understand ,the wrecker had to go after it with scuba gear. it was down about 9 feet.
Somehow they got that submitted as warrenty, that thing got new everything but it did not get priority shop time.