Removable rear bumper?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has some square tubing that sticks out the side of the bed. Underneath. I guess they are tie downs for an in-bed camper. Today I noticed that my rear bumper has some pins. Would this be to remove the bumper for the camper or is it OEM and serves another purpose?

Attachments

• IMG_2803-1.jpg
    IMG_2803-1.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 15

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Certainly looks that way, that's not the factory bumper supports in there.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My guess is it's for a camper where the hangover the bed goes further down than the bumper. Must be a very specific application, cause my camper fits on just fine with my bumper right where it's at.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kinda cool whatever it's for. You could have different bumpers for different occasions. Like towing, or shoving, or accommodating a camper, racing bumpers like the dodges Richard Petty used to drive, or weddings....... that's cool, man.

gandalf

Reaction score
When I put my cabover camper on my '86 I had to remove the rear bumper. Otherwise a holding tank would hit the bumper. The only other option was to place some plywood in the truck bed to lift the entire camper enough for the holding tank to clear the bumper.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have to do that trick to keep the cabover part from rubbing the roof of my cab

gandalf

Reaction score
I have to do that trick to keep the cabover part from rubbing the roof of my cab

There was a model year change at some year with Ford (I don't remember the year) where the cab apparently was made taller. People with older cabover campers had the problem you've described.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It could also be a “slide” for the rear bumper. Lat’s say you have an 11’ Camper. The bumper would be 2+ feet in front of the rear of the Camper. You might be able to pull those pins, and slide the bumper back to another set of holes, and then the bumper would be even with the back of the camper. I know that IH had something like that for the camper special packages on the IH Pickups….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online