RELAY MOD FOR REVERSE LIGHTS

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about those two tiny telephone-wire sized wires that plug into the transmission and trigger the reverse lights.:eek:

They are not really enough for the two little 1156 bulbs in the tail-lights, let alone the big sealed-beam flood-light:rolleyes: that I had spliced into the rear of the truck, not to mention the fact that the already over-loaded IGNITION ON powers them.:eek:

:backoff I ran a fused 12AWG wire, straight from HOT under the hood, all the way back to the rear of the truck, and connected it to the BATT/HOT wire on a relay.

I clipped both standard reverse lights, and the big one, free of the system, and connected them to the load side of the relay.

I added two big wires for future lights that will hang on each rear corner, angled outward at about 45* each side.

I also added a big wire that will feed the four reverse lights on the trailer, one each side about mid-way, and one each side of the rear.

I connected the existing REVERSE light wires to the SWITCH/TRIGGER side of the relay.

Before I started, engine not running, reverse lights on, including the big sealed-beam, I had 8.3 VOLTS :rolleyes: at the lights.

After I finished, I had 11.8 VOLTS:backoff , which I figure will step up to around 14 VOLTS:thumbsup: , when the engine is running.

Now, the only draw on that tiny reverse wiring system is the relay trigger.;Sweet

I got to thinking about it, and decided an over-ride switch is in order, such that I can turn the lights on, without the transmission being in REVERSE, or the ignition being on.

That should prove handy.:thumbsup:

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I did the reverse relay mod to my old truck. It was well worth it. I, also, wanted to put in a second switch, but never did.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep I always wanted to do this mod myself but I rather have them ON when the tranny is o reverse, still have them ON any time You want could come handy on a different situation.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
I think I posted how to do this here awhile back...

You must be registered for see images attach

It works very well.

Manual override.

The stock wiring is fine for the two stock bulbs, they only draw about a half amp. If you only have 8volts, there is corrosion somewhere. What is the voltage coming into the stock reverse switch?

Also 11.8 seems too low to me. You should be within .1v of the battery with only the stock lights drawing down. All yer connections good?

Adrianspeeder

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only have 8volts, there is corrosion somewhere. What is the voltage coming into the stock reverse switch?

The wire at the rear of the truck was more black, than shiny copper.

I didn't crawl under and check at the transmission switch.

Also 11.8 seems too low to me. You should be within .1v of the battery with only the stock lights drawing down. All yer connections good?

Adrianspeeder

All connections are soldered/heat-shrink, except for the female spades at the fuse-block, which are Vaseline-dipped and crimped with a real crimper.

The voltage was checked with the engine not running and all three bulbs drawing, two stock bulbs and one big sealed-beam.

I haven't checked with the engine running; but, with any wire, 12AWG or larger, it usually steps up to 14 volts or more.

The reason I like to turn on stuff, with the key off and in my pocket, is to make it harder for someone to take off in the truck, while I am doing something behind it; or, I may want to leave the engine running, while working behind the truck---something that is sort of hard to do when the transmission has to be in reverse.

IdahoCowboy71

Reaction score
I was going to wire in a overirde switch on mine also, but I have been putting tcase in N and setting the e brake, works ok as I havent had time to wire in a switch

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have both on mine as well. I used a 5 post relay, and used a switch to supply power to the fifth terminal when I turn the switch on. The fifth terminal is connected to load when the relay is not triggered, thereby allowing me to switch the lights off and on manually and automatically. Works great. I can provide a schematic if anyone wants it.

All you will need is a switch and enough wire to run from where you mount the switch to the relay. Should be a switch and wire heavy enough to handle the lights you install as well.
Scott

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to run a switched hot wire to the COLD-WIRE side of the switch at the transmission.

This switch will trigger the relay, just the same as if I put it in reverse.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I CAN'T WAIT TO BACK UP IN THE DARK

I got to thinking about it, and decided an over-ride switch is in order, such that I can turn the lights on, without the transmission being in REVERSE, or the ignition being on.

That should prove handy.:thumbsup:

I got to work, this weekend, and tied a switch-wire into the COLD side of the reverse switch at the transmission.

Now, I can light up the reverse lights, on demand, with the engine on or off, and the keys in my pocket, if I so desire.;Sweet

This, coupled with the two big rear-facing loading lights up on the headache rack, should prove handy for such chores as pulling calves after dark, or the like.:thumbsup:

I also got that extra wire ran to a switch, then into the AUX position of the trailer-plug.

The switch is right next to the trailer-plug, and is there for those times that I may plug a strange trailer into my truck that isn't wired for reverse lights.

Also, in daylight hours, I can turn off the switch, and not have a bunch of big flood-lights coming on every time I back up.

But then, many times I have travelled fifteen-hundred miles, one way, and not put the truck in reverse.
:D