rebuilding question

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need to change out the bearings in the top of the connecting rods? I don't see these things listed in the typical list of replacement parts. Thanks for the help guys!

Paul B

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The wrist pin bushings in the top of the rods are something that gets replaced by a shop that rebuilds rods. This is a job most guys can't just do at home. They need to be pressed in and out, then honed to fit the piston pin. So if you don't want to buy a set of rebuilt rods you wont be replacing these bushing. A turbo rod with the big pin is about $45.00 each thru Diesel Direct and no core charge. Thats a very good price. I have called several Ford dealerships in So Ca. and they range from $55.00 + a $30.00 core and up from there. I have bought 4 sets on Ebay over the last few years for around $75.00 to about $140.00. Spare parts are always good parts....;Sweet

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how do I know if I need to get the rods rebuilt or get new ones? Can I tell by the wear on the old ones. I know that the rods and pistons are supposed to go back in the original holes if you don't replace them, but I have a different block and I'm getting one used rod from someone else. Will all this wear in properly? Thanks for the reply icanfixall! You've helped me a lot so far in the rebuilding process.

Paul B

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You can take them to a competent machine shop and they can "size" them by measuring them. The bushings are smaller than needed on the inside and must be honed to fit the piston pin. We used a sunnen hone that was designed just for this. It is a wet hone with stones and wipers that simply hone out the bushing to the correct size. Spent many hours with that hone!!! :) The big ends are re-sized by cutting the flats where the rod and cap bolt together, then honing the big end on the same hone. Takes some time working through them, but the end product is a like new rod, maybe better because it isn't massed produced, but it measured and sized until it is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online