Rebuilding oil cooler, what do you guys do to clean it?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was going to say that $6 sounds really cheap but $60 sounds way too high. $30-40 is what I paid for the gaskets and orings. I don't know if you can use common trade orings. The best way to do that would be to get some old ones from somebody and take them to a CAT dealer who usually stocks a ton of orings, by size though. I didn't do much to clean out my bundle, I sprayed it out thoroughly with fresh water and ran some biodiesel through it. I cleaned all the crud off it and had it pressed back together.

Last time I bought the things the ford dealer wanted $90 for the orings, $17 for the gaskets. I got the Orings from the International dealer for about $70 after tax but the header gaskets are different and had to get the gaskets from ford for $17 , This is why I mentioned the felpro gasket set being cheaper, And you get a few spare goodies. Since that time though a bunch of places are carrying the felpro header gaskets for $5-7.

I've got a set of new ones down there I suppose I could try to measure and get a number on the things, probably not tonight though, I'm beat.

-------Robert

suv7734

Reaction score
Any of the larger radiator shops will be able to clean it out like new for you. They have cleaning equipment (usually electrosonic) that is meant for these types of heat exchangers that won't damage anything. Not usually a very expensive procedure and generally worth the peace of mind that there is no crud left inside that you can't see.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Any of the larger radiator shops will be able to clean it out like new for you. They have cleaning equipment (usually electrosonic) that is meant for these types of heat exchangers that won't damage anything. Not usually a very expensive procedure and generally worth the peace of mind that there is no crud left inside that you can't see.

....hmmmm.... i think i'll have to do some phone book research. thanks.

-Jon

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The international dealer cleaned ours for free with the purchase of the orings. They heat tanked it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has a complete oil cooler with headers and new o-rings for $10.00 and no bids yet. Hard to know if its "clean" inside or not but for the cheap price...:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online