Rebuilding a 6.9 - can't find a part

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone remembers, but I bought a 6.9 off of Rob Wick a couple of months ago to rebuild and then put in my van. I have been working on it, slowly but surely, gathering up everything I need and making a plan.

Anyway, I finally got to the point, knowing that I was going to need components off of the engine in the van currently, that I decided to just pull out the engine, then haul ass rebuilding this 6.9, and get it in as soon as I could. (I can survive for a couple of days/weeks without the Van if need be.) So the engine is out and I am "hauling ass."

Anyway, I got all the new bearings in and I got the heads torqued on. Rocker arms, lifters, push rods, all of that. I'm at the point where I'm ready for the valley pan, but I'm looking at this "tappet guide retainer" thing that looks like a centipede and holds the tappet guides down and it looks a little beaten. It's got a little tear started towards one end of it and a sort of hole punched through at a different spot. I know there was trouble with one of the rocker arms with the engine previously, that's why Rob took it apart, so I'm concerned about not having this part be good. The rocker arm broke and the bearing surface type thing that it rotated on was machined down like it wasn't getting any oil.

Long story short, I can't find this flippin' part. I guess it's obsolete. Does anyone have one lying around? I'm real nervous about putting this old one back in.

(Tappet guide retainer)

~Jeff

Gonna post a photo in a sec

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
here's a couple photos

Attachments

• June-July 07 Ports 105.jpg
    June-July 07 Ports 105.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 13
  • June-July 07 Ports 108.jpg
    June-July 07 Ports 108.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 11
  • June-July 07 Ports 093.jpg
    June-July 07 Ports 093.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 23

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Navistar (international) will have that part. Be sure the guide plates that the lifters ride thru are installed with the dimple pointed upwards towards you as you are looking down on it. The rocker arms torque down to 20 ft lbs. What does the cam lobe look like where the lifter broke up...

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Navistar...alright, I'll get on that.

Dimples up were the way they came out. Didn't look too closely at the cam lobe, but I don't recall anything looking too funny. I gave it a once over and didn't notice anything. I think the push rod got clogged so oil couldn't flow through it.

Thanks for the help

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! The Cops46 motor will live again. ;Sweet Just be advised that once you get it running, it will pull the the right when heading west on I-80 and to the left when running the PA turnpike, as it tries to find the rest of itself. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online