Rebuilding a 4R100

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Have any of you ever rebuilt your own tranny...???

I am thinking about rebuilding my own and maybe my brother in laws... I watched my dad rebuild one a long time ago and it didn't seem to difficult but he's now dead and I don't feel so confident doing it myself.

I don't want to lay down the huge money and buy a reman... not when I can buy a full rebuild kit with race clutches and such for $600 and a new TC with all the good stuff for around $1200... Thats almost half what really good rebuild goes for without the TC...

What do you think...??

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
The more you tear into it, the better you'll get. Or something like that. BTS makes pretty kick ass tranny's, not sure you could get the secret sauce tho...

If you only have the DI-4 way, you can't be pushing much more than 140 hp (above stock), unless you have some bbq sauce running in there too. I'd be interested to see how your tranny holds up with you mods.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im with Ggg, do it, take some really indepth pics and video if you have the ability, put together a "how to" and give us some tech teachings. That'd be awesome.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Well my BIL's tranny is taking a crap before mine... well really his TC is ...

I keep trying to talk him in to letting me replace it... He would help and he just doesnt' want to do it... he's worried about the weight of the transfer case... :D I think I have him convinced to let me change it though... tomorrow we are heading to California to pick up a new pre-runner and parts for the trophy truck, so I will try and get the go ahead then.. I also have a FTVB that Greg sent me to compare to the Transgo kit that I put in my truck... So I would do it at the same time...

Swany,
The tranny in my truck is holding up well... I have had the 6.5" lift on since 83,000 miles... I am now at 120,000... Still the original tranny. The truck has had 35's since 15,000 and the 37's went on when I lifted it... I did the Transgo at around 70,000. Which is one of the best things you can do to these trucks... I would love a BTS but just can't afford it...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DM,

Any update on this project for us?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
No go yet...

I have been so busy with work and getting ready for races I have barely had time to even wash my truck...

My tranny is starting to act up... its not locking the TC until like 50-55 now... gets hotter than a two dollar pistol pulling anything heavy in town...

I may just do the Manual TC lockup switch and see how things go with it...

You know I have done the race thing because it was fun ... but its beginning to be alot like work now.. I put in 20-30hrs a week just getting the race truck ready... that's after putting in 50-60hrs a week at my real job... I'm starting to drag a little...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When hobbies become chores, they cease to be fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online