Rebuild, Power Stroke or Cummins?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So..... anyone running a roll cage hoop in their back seat or anything? Seems more dangerous than a miata
Just call these pictures reasons why I don't try to go chasing tornados anymore. I never saw it and the back end hydroplaned in the deep water on the highway. Those tornados are now safe from being chased by me and I just hope that they return the favor.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I found a cheap donor idi motor. Between it and mine I'll have a good useable base. I'm about to pull the trigger on the stage 1 turbo unless someone can change my mind. My pump is fairly new and puts out a lot of fuel. Oregon Injection rebuilt it for me and really did a good job with it. My plan is as follows: stage 1 turbo, head studs, down pipe, r&d injectors. keep my straight 3" exhaust, keep pump. Having a machine shop give her a valve job and take care of the block and heads.

As for internals I don't know what re build kit to get. Piston gaskets and all that. I would like to find just a normal international rebuild kit. Anyone have any other ideas? As you can see I'm not going too crazy with the rebuild but I do want to wake it up and make a nice truck out of her. I'll be getting the turbo ordered within the next week as long as they have one.

Thanks boys, have a good day.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here what international and ford called a top end/head set for a factory turbo motor. We found it on eBay a few years ago but there may be a few others out there. If you’ve got a ATS or factory system this is nice b/c it’s really complete. Every gasket and hose from the block up to the top of the turbo is included.

IH 1821311C93

I’m sure there is a n/a version available as well but I don’t know that number.
There are separate ford/IH OEM lower end gasket sets still available as well that are good for all the seals down there on both turbo and n/a.

Hard parts are mostly in the aftermarket now even if they’re OE suppliers like mahle but are available through the typical speed shops and machine shop suppliers and such.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a cheap donor idi motor. Between it and mine I'll have a good useable base. I'm about to pull the trigger on the stage 1 turbo unless someone can change my mind. My pump is fairly new and puts out a lot of fuel. Oregon Injection rebuilt it for me and really did a good job with it. My plan is as follows: stage 1 turbo, head studs, down pipe, r&d injectors. keep my straight 3" exhaust, keep pump. Having a machine shop give her a valve job and take care of the block and heads.

As for internals I don't know what re build kit to get. Piston gaskets and all that. I would like to find just a normal international rebuild kit. Anyone have any other ideas? As you can see I'm not going too crazy with the rebuild but I do want to wake it up and make a nice truck out of her. I'll be getting the turbo ordered within the next week as long as they have one.

Thanks boys, have a good day.

Personally i would check out classic diesel designs which is @Thewespaul shop and as well as russ repairs both have endless know how an idi products for n/a idi an turbo idi

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here what international and ford called a top end/head set for a factory turbo motor. We found it on eBay a few years ago but there may be a few others out there. If you’ve got a ATS or factory system this is nice b/c it’s really complete. Every gasket and hose from the block up to the top of the turbo is included.

IH 1821311C93

I’m sure there is a n/a version available as well but I don’t know that number.
There are separate ford/IH OEM lower end gasket sets still available as well that are good for all the seals down there on both turbo and n/a.

Hard parts are mostly in the aftermarket now even if they’re OE suppliers like mahle but are available through the typical speed shops and machine shop suppliers and such.

I don't know if he still has them, but that's what Russ (typ4) sent with the ATS kit I bought from him.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I got my head studs ordered. Once I get an email back from Wes I'm going to get the turbo. Either the R&d stage 1 or wes's upgraded turbo . I would like to stick with one guy for everything. Right now I'm leaning towards wes' s turbo intake manifold and intercooler kit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Using one person's products as a whole system is the best way to go. That's the recommended way for just about (if not all) of the engine hop up products. You can't go wrong with either person. I lean toward Wes too. For one thing, I've met him and know that he knows his stuff. For another, I prefer to support the members here on this forum. Of course, I have nothing against Justin.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
UPDATE

I don’t know if i should make a build thread or keep with this one. I have been bothering the hell out of Wes @ classic Diesel Designs and he has been putting up with me very well. Ive ordered a bunch of parts. My block and heads are in the machine shop, tranny is out and I’m taking it to the shop Tuesday to get rebuilt. This project turned into a major investment. It is important to me that i do this right. It has also been a fantastic project for my grandpa and i. He has had a good time tinkering while I’m at work and it gives us a chance to spend time together when I’m home.

I threw some rods. Blew some holes in the old block. Bent many pushrods. Made a mess out of the inside of the old motor. I keep on forgetting to make posts and i forget to take pictures. Here is all i have:

Natehimself36

Reaction score
More pictures are soon to come. I have another rod and piston somewhere that also came loose while the motor was running. This is just a picture of the one piston i had near by. Ill take more pictures and update as i go along. Soon I’ll have a new truck!

I have a manifold pressure / EGT ISSPRO gauge on my dash and during the tear down my grandpa cut the temp sending wire so I’m looking for that wire and sending unit. I was curious if it can be replaced? It’s a mechanical gauge. The needles stick so i have to smack them sometimes to get the gauges to work right. I’m thinking of just replacing them completely. Any ideas on a good gauge set. I would like PSI / EGT at least but maybe some oil pressure / temp or tranny temp gauges. Does anyone have any to get rid of? They’re a lot more expensive than I thought they would be.

Thanks everyone for the good information everyone and thank you @Thewespaul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online