Rebuild, Power Stroke or Cummins?

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I blew up my IDI so I’m trying to get a plan going. I’m not in any hurry to get this thing going. First i was thinking of rebuilding it. Getting some nice parts, turbo, studs and all that good stuff. I thought the Cummins swap would be out of the question because of price and difficulty and all that. After some research i see that its arguably easier to do than a PS swap and i could probably do it for the same price give or take a few hundred. I’m going back and forth between all these options. Ive moving farther and farther away from the PS swap purely because of how much of a PITA it is without a donor. I plan on buying bits and pieces throughout the summer and doing it this fall or winter when work slows down.

Another thing to consider is that the truck needs a new transmission. Currently it has the E40D and its on its last leg. I thought for sure it would fail before the motor but i was wrong. I am going to put a zf5 in the truck unless someone has a better idea. The truck is a 1993 f-250 4x4 IDI with the ATS spinny thing, E40D. I’m dont like the auto, never have liked automatics so i really want to avoid it if i can. This isn’t a little project, that’s why I’m not in a hurry and also why I’m open to a lot of options. If i blew a head gasket i would just fix that and keep going, sadly this isn’t the case. One of my connecting rods became a disconnecting rod and went ahead and made a hole in the block. Who knows what else is damaged.

I’m going to make a thread following the progress of the project once i get a plan going and get some progress made. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I would like to hear everyone’s thoughts. Ive also thrown around the idea of a DT360.. i like that and the 466. I wont do the latter but the 360 is something to be considered. I’m more prone to do one of the first three ideas though. Thanks guys, i appreciate it. I am set on fixing this **** and not replacing it or scrapping it. This swap or rebuild WILL happen so don’t consider this another thread that some kid writes up and doesn’t follow through with.

Thanks, Nate Himself

Ps, I tow a lot and drive a lot. On average 100 + per day. Tow heavy 1 ton plus.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hands down. dt360 with a p7100 and a ZF5/6 depending how heavy you really tow.
I love my IDIs but a wet sleeve I6??
kinda hard to beat.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I agree the 466 would be amazing but that's not something I want to tackle lol. The 360 is way more within my limits but still a little far out for me because of the lack of info on it. I've seen the thread with the black f350 equipped with a 360. That was cool..

I'm leaning towards the idi rebuild which is crazy because I told myself there was no way in hell I would be rebuilding the idi. Just because I figured for the same money I could have a better motor. Now I think with some modern upgrades the idi would be just fine. Not like I have to decide right now but I do want to make up my mind so if I see something on Craigslist I can get it.

My opinion is liable to change many times before I pull the trigger on something. If I find a crazy good deal on something that'll change things. If I rebuild I really want to do it right with the studs, rods ,turbo ,downpipe, maybe the r&d cam and their PS rods. I just don't want to throw a couple few thousand at this truck and be pissed off about it when I'm done. I'm sure this forum is a little biased in their opinions but I like you guys :)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious here, but I kind of doubt that you'll be rebuilding your IDI since you said that it has a hole in the block. Rebuilding another one? Now that's entirely possible and the route that I'd take. I like being and doing the odd ball things, but I'm done with the whole completely different type of engine swap thing. I had my 6.9 powered Bronco and that's good enough for me. Of course that could change if I ever ran across a good deal on an Ex. cab Dent side truck.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll vote cummins too, and though I don't like the nv45 as much as the zf5, it would be simpler to just drop a whole drivetrain in and be done.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I found a five ton with a DT366, I'd probably make it a daily driver. Maybe shorten that frame and slap a pickup body on it. Maybe swap out the differential gears to make it go a little faster.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
If i did finds cheap donor truck for the Cummins or power stroke, that would settle it then and there. If not, it’ll be the idi probably. I guess i needed to make this thread to have someone tell me that I’m not a total idiot for going that route instead of doing the Cummins or PSD. I’m about the most indecisive, wishy woshy person i know though lol.

No I won’t be using my block for the rebuild lol. Other bits and pieces though, that’s a different story. I figure if i can find another block ill have a good base. Good enough anyways. I would of course like to find an IDIT for the wrist pin but I’m too concerned. If i have the cash ill probably find a set of rods from a PSD and send them in. Has anyone done that? Is it worth it? I plan to get the non inter cooled turbo kit from R&D if i go the rebuild route. My pump is freshly rebuilt and puts out a good amount of juice so I’m not planning on getting another pump.

I kind of wanted to just get an entirely different truck but i got this one from my grandpa so it has some sentimental value to it. I would like to keep it if i can. I would like to make it real nice and keep it forever just for that reason alone. That’s why, since i plan on fixing this truck, I’m going to do it right and not try to nickel and dime it together and have it be a **** forever. I want to have a clean, nicely rebuilt (or swapped) engine. And also get rid of that gat damn e4od. Some guys like that thing.. hell i might too in a different universe but ive had a lot of issues with it and the torque converter and also the TCM.

As for sources for idi goodies i have:
R&D, Conestoga and pepsicola diesel. Is there any decent ones? I know i can just search for them.. just like I could’ve sourced all the info i needed to make my motor decision but that’s not like asking folks for their ideas. I like talking to people, not google lol.

Thanks guys, have a good day!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The factory turbo IDI (w/5spd) s a Ford donor I would consider. I believe in the better rotating assembly.

I usually find the DT360 in an urban-delivery setup. Like with the 20' box still on it and Allison auto without OD; perhaps a 2spd diff with a direct 5spd. (The larger DT's, IDI's, and T444E's are much more common).

I like the ZF too.... but the $1000 adapter is intimidating when you can use the 5spd the Dodge comes with. A basic cummins D250 is already a pickup and makes a great DD. I've had 4 so far and they were all dirt cheap.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for sources for idi goodies i have:
R&D, Conestoga and pepsicola diesel. Is there any decent ones? I know i can just search for them.. just like I could’ve sourced all the info i needed to make my motor decision but that’s not like asking folks for their ideas. I like talking to people, not google lol.

People have varying opinions of pepsicola (pensacola) diesel but don't forget about Classic Diesel Designs and Russ Repair, both are members and frequent contributors to this site.

https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/all
https://russrepair.com/

Bolson400

Reaction score
Classic Diesel Designs is another good option. He’s on here quite a bit answering questions.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
i got this one from my grandpa so it has some sentimental value to it. I would like to keep it if i can. I would like to make it real nice and keep it forever just for that reason alone.
This is why, when you're done, this truck will worth more than three brand new ones to you. Barring unforeseen circumstances (such as a horrible wreck), NEVER get rid of it.