Rear speakers in ext. cab.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oem door speakers were pretty weak so I bought some aftermarket ones and added the foam "hats" behind them. Not much better. The (aftermarket) radio looks like a cheapo so that may be part of my problem too.
I have seen some of your trucks have 6x9? speakers in the rear cab corners. Is that a mod. I can do to my 1987? Maybe I can find some good ol' Jensen Triaxials to put back there? ;-)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem sometimes with factory speakers are their mounting. Are they mounted in the plastic back there or are they mounted to the solid metal cab. They will not have good bass response if they are not mounted solid. I would take the foam backers off, so the back of the speaker can use the larger volume of the cab corner. Larger volume means better bass.

If you have one of those Dual radios from Walmart, that indeed could be the problem also.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take the foam backers off, so the back of the speaker can use the larger volume of the cab corner. Larger volume means better bass.
I put the foam hats behind the front door speakers. I don't have any rear speakers and the truck never had any.
I have seen pictures with oem rear corner plastics with grilles for speakers. I don't know what year or cab configuration they were on or what the speakers mount to. I'm wondering that, and if they could be adapted to my '87.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 speakers chillin in the back floor on mounts made out of osb and pallet

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back speakers I have are made to fit, thay are a 3in and 6.5in mid-range.

You must be registered for see images

Thay might get fiber glass and bolt to where the speaker was.

And the door is a bullet tweeter and a 6.5in mid-bass, so a 4-way so my own making. So any thing is possible if you have the commitment.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be installing 6.5 component speakers in my door. I have electric windows, so I got manual door panels and will mount the tweeter in the window arm hole with the 6.5 speakers next to it. I've got a small amp and a DSP, it'll be a headless setup. Will install a subwoofer in the center console as time goes on.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just hoping to put some rear speakers in using the OEM location hardware that I've seen. Not looking to reinvent the wheel.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just hoping to put some rear speakers in using the OEM location hardware that I've seen. Not looking to reinvent the wheel.

You would have to make a adaptor for a bigger speaker like a 6x9 to fit, it would not need to be as big as I made. How the box would mount in the oem location would be the same. You would make a cardboard template of the first piece, and should come out something like this. With less of a tab on the bottom, you might be able to get it past the plastic without cutting, just pull the grill off the plastic. With this piece in, you would set the 6x9 in place for depth check and you would make more a oval hole to start.

The factory location dose not give much to work with for a bigger speaker, so is going to need to stand out some. This is the first design I made, you might not be using as big of a board for the outside and could set it in some. You have to keep in mind, the magnet on the speaker can not touch metal when setting depth.

The issue with the factor location for the 5x7, is the metal around it fits the speaker like a glove. So a bigger speaker means it would have to stand out, how much depends on the speaker. A low power 6x9 will have a smaller magnet than a high power one, in turn is a factor you have to weigh in how close youi can get the speaker. You might be able to get away with just stacking a few pieces of wood to get it to work.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to fab. anything.
I'm asking if the factory parts that I referred to will work on my 1987 ext. cab. (if I can find some in a junkyard)

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna give one of these bracket-mounted type a shot in the upper rear cab corners.
Not expecting great sound but it's the best option I've found without having to hack up my plastics.
Maybe I can even use one of the factory screws to mount them.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna give one of these bracket-mounted type a shot in the upper rear cab corners.
Not expecting great sound but it's the best option I've found without having to hack up my plastics.
Maybe I can even use one of the factory screws to mount them.

What’s your plans to power them?

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I’d grab some 2-way factory size speakers (5x7) of descent quality (I like Polk). Put a baffle behind the speaker, or some closed cell foam.

Get a better head unit and put a HP filter of at least 100hz (I’d go 150) feeding the rear speakers. The better head unit will likely make your door speakers sound better.

Personally I like 4x6 plates better than 5x7 oval woofers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online