Rear Seal

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the engine out to do the head gaskets and install studs so I thought I would take a look at the rear main seal. I took the plate off and noticed there as been a sleeve kit installed already. The seal is not leaking but there is a small grove in the sleeve. Is it worth changing out or will a new one just wear in the same in a few weeks. I just don't want to spend money on it if its not necessary.

Thanks

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does a rubber seal cut into a forged steel crank? then cut a groove into a stainless steel sleeve? I have one of them monkeys on my crank too!
I mean rubber cuts steel? how? rubber, oil, steel, somethings is fishy, anyone?

Javier

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the contaminants (dirt,dust,ect) that collects and bond with the seal that cuts a groove. It's like that nagging wife that keeps pestering you for something...... it eventually just wears on you!
No offense Ladies.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the contaminants (dirt,dust,ect) that collects and bond with the seal that cuts a groove. It's like that nagging wife that keeps pestering you for something...... it eventually just wears on you!
No offense Ladies.
Please,elaborate, I'm fascinated! how excatly?
the seal leakage , not the nagging wife, that I can already imagine!
Javier

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The dirt gets to the seal carried in the oil. Once at the scene, it spins around at the seal margin and polishes the crank. Remember that the seal has tension on the crank, so any piece of dirt that gets in between the seal and crank will be held there indefinitely, until something wears out. Eventually, polishing turns into a groove that will lead to leaks.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works alot like tooth paste or car polish. Just enough grit to polish or in this case do damage over a period of time yet smooth to the human touch.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dirt gets to the seal carried in the oil. Once at the scene, it spins around at the seal margin and polishes the crank. Remember that the seal has tension on the crank, so any piece of dirt that gets in between the seal and crank will be held there indefinitely, until something wears out. Eventually, polishing turns into a groove that will lead to leaks.
The dirt is the oil, baked onto the seal, yes you are correct.
this is why ASE certified mechanics recommend using dead plants and animals to lubricate your trucks and their wallets.
True synthetic oils will not bake inside any engine and cause seals to dry out and cut grooves into seal surfaces.
Turbine jet engines cannot have failure, in the air, you cannot purchase dino oil for these engines, yet the sump temperatures are around 100F hotter than gas/diesel sumps.
It is your choice :popcorn

Javier

Danoflapper

Reaction score
I have and will continue to use dino oil. It's my choice, and I haven't lost any sleep over it. I've got better things to think about than all the damage conventional oil is causing in my crankcase. :)

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding new seals with the sleeve like what is in the engine now, do I have to go to the dealer for this?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding new seals with the sleeve like what is in the engine now, do I have to go to the dealer for this?
Napa carries the repair sleeve, Ford also sells it too, I would price both and check for availability, I just had to wait 6 days for Napa to get me the repair sleeve for the front seal, harmonic damper.
Javier

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

There are two different type of sleeves. one kine work with the standard seal and the other require a special larger diameter seal. if the sleeve you have on there is noticably thicker , you need the larger diameter one. you should replace the sleeve if it has a groove. You don't want to do this just to find it leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online