Rear ends

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to rebuild a spare dually axle for Big Russ next week. I don't know for sure what it is stuffed with, but I want to split the difference between the 3.55's that are in the truck now, and 4.10's. I was thinking 3.73's, but I don't know if they're even available for the rear ends, or even where to get a gear set from.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the long and short pinions. What do I have to look out for when ordering?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
seems like 93 and later use the short pinion.

NOPE! 92 on up use the long pinion. The break was in 1992, so a 1992 could have either. This is from two VERY reliable sources. I just purchased Ring and Pinion gears for mine, so I was researching quite a bit. You can use the long pinion in a short pinion too, just have to have a different yoke, or so I'm told.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard they had a problem with the splines wearing on the rearend yokes(I have seen this several times myself) and they made the pinion spline area longer to combat the problem(more surface area).

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOPE! 92 on up use the long pinion. The break was in 1992, so a 1992 could have either. This is from two VERY reliable sources. I just purchased Ring and Pinion gears for mine, so I was researching quite a bit. You can use the long pinion in a short pinion too, just have to have a different yoke, or so I'm told.

Your source is correct. You can use a long spline pinion but will also replace the yoke if installing on 92-down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online