Rear end temp gauge?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm going nuts here at the moment ordering gauges, engine oil temp, trans oil temp. And was thinking about putting one on the rear end for giggles if it's possible weld a sensor port onto a stock 10.25 stearling rear end cover without having to modify it too much.,

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks---------Robert

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That for the truck in your sig? I was about to suggest a temp gauge for the slushbox but then I saw you ain't got one, so yeah, sure, throw a gauge for the rear end, if not anything at least it will be pretty cool.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I figure it would be handy when towing the 5er, if something were to go haywire, seal cut loose , brake dragging,what have you, it's a great early warning.
Just wasn't sure if I had enough room to get the probe into the pumpkin with a weld on 1/8 npt fiting at the bottom without poking into the carrier or if I'd end up having to weld something extra onto the pan to backspace it.

re living my days with my old '72 Kenworth I had years back. That sucker had 22 gauges in the dash :eek: You should have seen the couple of times I tried to train a relief driver . I had them all turned " if it aint point'n straight up, worry!" :rotflmao

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this for mine, I want to get a sender for my trans temp gauge, and put it on a toggle switch for the trans temp gauge. That way I dont need to mount another gauge, just flip the switch and check it.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure it would be handy when towing the 5er, if something were to go haywire, seal cut loose , brake dragging,what have you, it's a great early warning.
Just wasn't sure if I had enough room to get the probe into the pumpkin with a weld on 1/8 npt fiting at the bottom without poking into the carrier or if I'd end up having to weld something extra onto the pan to backspace it.
You plan on installing the temp sensor in the diff cover? Like, drill a hole at a suitable location, weld in a bung, then thread the sensor in? I think that will work, as long as you're near the ring gear but not right above it.

re living my days with my old '72 Kenworth I had years back. That sucker had 22 gauges in the dash :eek: You should have seen the couple of times I tried to train a relief driver . I had them all turned " if it aint point'n straight up, worry!" :rotflmao
Haha, I know what you mean man, I just got a '78 W900 for an X-mas present from a friend's grandpa - thing is just gorgeous, too bad I ain't got no CDL yet.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could always buy a Mag Tec Dif cover for about $250.00 They have a place for the sender built right in.

$250 for a rear end cover ???
Yeah, I could show up at the supper table with a 25 year old blond and that would go over about as well ;Pissed :rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, these things can get expensive - cast aluminum, fins, differential bearing caps supports, and so on, it adds up pretty quick. That said, between the hot blonde and the diff cover - to hell with the truck, only I'd like the chick just maybe a few years younger ;)

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'm going nuts here at the moment ordering gauges, engine oil temp, trans oil temp. And was thinking about putting one on the rear end for giggles if it's possible weld a sensor port onto a stock 10.25 stearling rear end cover without having to modify it too much.,

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks---------Robert

What temp range do you suppose you'll need?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, these things can get expensive - cast aluminum, fins, differential bearing caps supports, and so on, it adds up pretty quick. That said, between the hot blonde and the diff cover - to hell with the truck, only I'd like the chick just maybe a few years younger ;)

You can sleep WITH the chick. You can sleep IN the truck. Try doing that with the chic. LOL

I'd pay $250 for a cover with a sender port without thinking about it much. I don't remember what I payed for my alluminum finned Dana 70 cover, but darn. It didn't have a port. Of course that was over 20 years ago when people didn't think about such things. Spend a ton of money on the wife, and she won't notice those small purchases. ;)