Rear End Noise

DieselChemist

Reaction score
My rear end sounds like a small plane taking off. The seal around the pinion leaks decently. I think it is a bearing, but just looking for some input. I know it is not the axle bearings because I can remove the axles and spin the wheels and no whine. But once you hook it all back up it whines. I was going to replace the seal but how do I fix the other parts?
Thanks
Bill

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It would help to know a little bit about your truck. I am going to assume you have the Ford 10.25 rear axle and not the Dana. Regardless of what axle you have it sounds like you have one or more bad bearings in there. You can sheck the outter pinion bearing almost as easily as changing the seal. Once the seal is out you can get the bearing out. If the bearing is worn badly (just might be) you will need a rebuild to repair it properly. If you get a god bearing kit and have a moderate mechanical aptitiude you can do it youself on a Saturday. Repost with your thoughts on this and there are many here who will be glad to help. You've found the rite place!
Ken

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Sorry this is my sig. I will try to look at the bearings. Also how do you tell between a Dana 60 and a 10.25 and what kind of Dana front ends came on a 87 F250

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dana 60 rears have stubby hubs that are visible past the wheel and "shoulder" type axle bolts.....very similiar in apperance to a Corporate 14 bolt.

10.25 Sterling rears have hubs that stick out twice as far as the 60 and the axle bolts do not have shoulders nor washers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online