rear end gears

badasp118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told by the operator of a local salvage yard that 3:55 gears will not fit in my rear end in place of my 4:10 gears? I know alot of you have done this swap.........any input?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Whynot? lol. It is just a ring and pinion swap. Tell him to point out your spark plug wires so you can change them too lol

3.55's are the option for Ford rearends, and 3.54's are the option for the Dana rearend.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
He may be technically correct that you cannot swap "just" the ring and pinion. I have run into this before. The thickness of the ring gear varies by ratio, so some gear ratios require a carrier with a different offset.

No big deal, but you may want to swap the pinion and carrier/ring gear assembly.

If it was me I would rather just swap the whole rear axle if it is available.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
He may be technically correct that you cannot swap "just" the ring and pinion. I have run into this before. The thickness of the ring gear varies by ratio, so some gear ratios require a carrier with a different offset.

No big deal, but you may want to swap the pinion and carrier/ring gear assembly.

If it was me I would rather just swap the whole rear axle if it is available.

Think that is really only an issue if you deal with the lower gears... there is one configuration for 4.10 and lower and another for anything higher... but 4.10 to 3.55 or 3.54 should not be an issue as long as it isinstalled correctly.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you ran into issues with axles geared for 4.11's. Something about needing another carrier to run 4.10 or 3.55

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm putting 3.73's in place of my 4.10's, or should I say, have put them in. Carrier is the same on the 10.25 from 4.10 and numerically lower gear sets (3.73, 3.54, 3.08, etc.) and another carrier for 4.56 and numerically higher sets (5.08, etc.)

Last edited:

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the punkin in one of our pete's by myself in 4 hours. Did a E350 in 2 hrs. By myself.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what bearing preload is? How about backlash? How about contact pattern?

For someone that has never setup gears, just swap the whole axle housing. Put new brakes on if you need them or just swap the entire brake assembly by unbolting the backing plate from the axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin