Rear Brake Conversion

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to convert my 93 F350s Sterling 10.25 to disc. Ruff stuff was the kit I was going to go with. Don't need parking brake as I'm automatic. I've heard to many mixed reviews on how people like the way they brake. Just wanted so opinions. My truck ways under 6k SCLB.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run these and love it.
much debate on wither the drum vs disc stop better while hauling.
I like the disc brakes on the rear.
make sure to delete the RABS and install a adjustable proportioning valve and F450 master

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disc is superior in theory, they dissipate heat better. A brake is just a energy converter, converting motion into heat. But I can't live without a parking brake, one because of state inspections and two, even with a automatic I can't rely on it to hold a loaded truck and trailer on a hill. If I did I probably could not get it out of park afterward.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from Wisconsin. So how we are raised here if the cable does t get used don't try to use it because they will get stuck closed or snap cables... Damn salt. I Don't haul that much. Car or truck on one place trailrer.i don't see my hauling 20k+ any time soon. Don't have trailer brake installed yet.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run these and love it.
much debate on wither the drum vs disc stop better while hauling.
I like the disc brakes on the rear.
make sure to delete the RABS and install a adjustable proportioning valve and F450 master
I have to delete tabs?
And I thought I could keep my master and just have to get the valve off a hydroboosr or f-450+ and change it from the drum proportion valve

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any good recommendations of axle seals and bearings, might as well do them since I have to pull axle shafts. Mine ad well put a finned SD Diff Cover. What should I use for fluid

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good recommendations of axle seals and bearings, might as well do them since I have to pull axle shafts. Mine ad well put a finned SD Diff Cover. What should I use for fluid
Well fluid type depends on differential. 80/140 synthetic for stock clutch lsd....but I myself am using TDH for diff fluid w a lunchbox locker...least for now...may switch out to synthetic later.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against the drums but there going out and the auto adjusters never work. For the money id spend to fix them, I can put discs on.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the masters have a larger bore for rear disc. would it work sure. but id rather match everything.
I would also be doing a hydroboost conversion.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rear kit to install that has parking brake capability. They were quite a bit more than the no parking brake caliper option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffeerich44

Reaction score
I used the TSM kit without any other modifications and it works great. It was pretty simple to install. I got the e-brake version mainly because I'm always parking on a hill and don't trust the automatic to hold the park setting especially when I'm loading and unloading my skidsteer on the trailer I tow. It weighs about 9000 lbs.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the TSM kit without any other modifications and it works great. It was pretty simple to install. I got the e-brake version mainly because I'm always parking on a hill and don't trust the automatic to hold the park setting especially when I'm loading and unloading my skidsteer on the trailer I tow. It weighs about 9000 lbs.

you joined in 2010, yet this was your first post?!! congrats! lol

i would never drive anything, auto or manual with out an EMERGENCY brake. after having a proportiong valve blow apart leaving me with no brakes, i limped the 2 miles home using just the emergency brake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726