Rear axle seal leak

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. My rear axle is leaking on my 93 f350 and have a couple questions. First, Napa has two different seals, one cheap and one expensive. Not sure which one I have. I’m not tearing the truck down until I get to Cali tomorrow but am buying the parts today. Also looks like I need a special socket. Anyone know what size or type? Thanks! It’s a single rear wheel truck.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s leaking down the back of the tire on the passenger side. The shoes are all soaked I’m sure. Gonna replace seals on each side and all new shoes

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double checking myself here, I think I wrote it down as a timken part but its coming up as a national part number now, it was a few years back so who knows. The installation tool is RD-277

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check the axle vent nipple and hose for blockage as that will make your new seals leak. Usually the nipple if full of rust, I pull it out and run a drill bit through the nipple.

I put scottseals in my axle, 34384
You must be registered for see images attach

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. I’m gonna pick up the seals this morning in Victorville when I get there. As far as the tool goes, I’m a tad confused on the part numbers but I’ll see what I can find

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OTC6601 is also another tool. The part store should be able to cross reference either number and get you one. Most have them there on the shelf.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check the axle vent nipple and hose for blockage as that will make your new seals leak. Usually the nipple if full of rust, I pull it out and run a drill bit through the nipple.

I was going to suggest the same thing but you beat me to it. :Thumbs Up

Lost 4 seals do to a plugged vent, expensive lesson learned:frustrate

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These.

SLittle

Reaction score
It’s leaking down the back of the tire on the passenger side. The shoes are all soaked I’m sure. Gonna replace seals on each side and all new shoes

This sounds like a leaking wheel cylinder to me. Are you losing brake fluid?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is something you don’t want to cheap out on. I’ve got 2 years and 20k leak free miles out of my nationals so far. They changed seal designs in April of ‘94. Make sure you get the right ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.