Rear antilock light keeps coming on

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I deleted the RABS valve last week on my truck - the brake pedal has never been firmer...My light used to come on and my pedal would get soft so it was time to get rid of it...Not very calming when you have 8000lbs in tow behind your 8000lb truck...LOL

Linky?:thumbsup:

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, when the Anti Lock light comes on, the parking break does as well.. They come on/off together
Red brake lamp is parking brake applied, low fluid, or low vacuum (diesel, belt driven pump).

Both lights on is usually the float switch (Closed = normal level) in the master cylinder (low fluid, bad switch, bad float, or wiring). [This is my bet]

Other possibilities listed for both lights on are the diode/resistor element (located where RABS pigtail connector meets the main harness), shorts in the brake light wiring, and checking for a possible flashout code. The diode/resistor element seems very unlikely to be intermittent.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a 92/93 the ABS setup is different. That flash code chart won't jive. First thing is this... you must get your red brake warning light to behave properly. It doesn't have anything to do with ABS, BUT it does feed the ABS and not having a the red brake warning light working right will mess up the ABS error codes. Once you get the red warning light working properly, then you can test out your ABS. There is a connector under the glove box which is snapped into a hole in the dash frame. Pull it loose, and then disconnect the two halves to invoke the ABS self test. The connector has one red wire going into one side (which has 12 volts on it all the time) and the other side has a different color wire... I think Black and orange or something like that. 15 short flashes followed by one long one means everything is A-OK.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned several ford trucks "our" style. I never once have seen the rear antilock help anything or even work very good, of course I dislike all antilock brakes myself. I'd just take the bulb out, problem solved. I did that on my '91 F150.

I'm going to disable the aintilock brakes on my work/school car ('92 Buick park ave) because they randomly start trying to work even if the tires aren't locking up. I think I will just pull the fuse.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned several ford trucks "our" style. I never once have seen the rear antilock help anything or even work very good, of course I dislike all antilock brakes myself. I'd just take the bulb out, problem solved. I did that on my '91 F150.

I'm going to disable the aintilock brakes on my work/school car ('92 Buick park ave) because they randomly start trying to work even if the tires aren't locking up. I think I will just pull the fuse.

In the event of a motor vehicle crash with death, and the results of a full invest shows your Buick's solid skid marks and the ABS disabled, guess who is going to be found at fault. I'd repair the problem (could be a wheel speed sensor) and leave it in operating order.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a squeak in the front driver - side wheel for awhile.. I haven't had the time to tear it apart.. Spindle is probably toast by now.. Could that be causing it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online