really stupid mistake... :(

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay guys, so i made a complete noob ass move.

might i strongly insinuate, THIS IS THE FIRST DIESEL IVE EVER OWNED OR WORKED ON. so basically, any do's or donts, im either learning through research, or the hard way, as per this matter.

my friends were using sea foam to clean out their cars' engines via adding it through their air intakes (fun smoke shows). one of them told me to use it in my 6.9 (he was being serious not trying to set me up for anything), so i listened. started pouring it slowly down the intake (stupid mistake now learned), and eventually it started running really oddly. knocking. pinging. banging. etc. turned it off for 5 minutes like the instructions said. started it back up, bang bang, knock knock, then it started running like it normally did before. then, just now, 3 days after the matter, i read on sea foams website, in very large letters, "DO NOT ADD SEA FOAM TO THE AIR INTAKE OF ANY DIESEL ENGINE, SERIOUS DAMAGE SUCH AS HYDRO LOCK OR UNCONTROLLED ENGINE ACCELLERATION (known as "run away") MAY OCCUR". :eek: :eek: :eek:

F&#K

MY

LIFE

what do i do??? its still running normally, but are there going to be any future problems that can happen because of this now?

yes, i fail. :idiot:

Last edited:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to take it apart to find out any damage caused. too much fluid in a cylinder would try to cause a hydrolock condition but the other cylinders could force the piston past such a condition. Bent rod, cracked or chipped piston, damage to piston ring(s), and/or due to increased pressures,early head gasket failure. If the engine is running normally again then your are probably very very lucky.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think if its ok now you may have dodged a bullet, but as stated give it time to see if any knocking or running bad starts.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it runs same as before now then just remember to use 2 stroke oil when You fill up and keepntrukn

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'd say you dodged a bullet big time if its running normal now. You'd know if you bend a rod or cracked a piston. A cracked piston will snap and pop like a ****, and a bend rod will defnintely make it run rough. Just keep an eye on it, I think you are probably okay though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Everything posted above is true. Now just drive it and listen to how its running. Just a simple word of advise... Ask a question here before you do anything next time. There are plenty of members that have either done what you are about to do. And they can speak from experiance. Also read the directions carefully. Sometimes I need help reading directions... I'm not a smart man. Welcome to the best diesel forum on the net too.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sea foam will act as a fuel in a diesel, what you were probably hearing was pre-ignition knock due to there being fuel coming in with the intake charge.

if you want to use it in your diesel engine put it in the fuel tank.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks all :D its still runs and sounds the same as it did before this less than intelligent event i put it through happened, and it probably helped in the aspect that i didnt really use much of the sea foam when i did this. ill run it through the fuel filter instead...

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good advice... Just a quick and dirty lowdown on diesel things [others will no doubt add to this list]

1 Diesels use fuel to govern speed [rpm] add fuel, rpm increases-add other liquids, veg oil, gasoline, seafoam, water, LP, propane, 2 stroke oil, etc will cause different effects, not all of them good, but not all bad either. Let knowledge be your guide.

2 NEVER use ether to start a IDI!!! The precup and glow plug location will work together and tend to blow-up/explode/do expensive damage to your engine!! With this said, I know some people do this, usually in a survival mode, but do you really need or want to take that chance? Fix the glowplug /block heater system instead.

3. Know what wire to remove to shut the engine off if the key fails to work. IIRC it is the rearmost one on the injection pump, [you do know where the injection pump is, don't you?]....might be the front one, but in doubt just pull both of them.

4. If you have the unfortuniate situation to witness a 'runaway' diesel, know that stopping airflow is the only way to shut-'er down. It is a seldom encountered condition, usually in very worn engines or those whose injection pump has not been assembled properly. I don't know if a 'jake brake' would shut it down, but I doubt it and anyway few of us have them installed on our F250/350's so it's mostly a moot point. That leaves the 'ol towel/rag/coat/anything down the intake to stop the flow of air to shut the runaway engine down. Not pretty but better than a screaming engine wanting to grenade itself into a million pieces!!

5. More under the 'Be prepared' banner, but always have a spare fuel filter on hand, preferably with enough diesel, 2 stroke oil, atf to fill it up and get your truck running again should you get a load of bad fuel or the filter stops flowing.

6. Don't freak out if you pump gasoline into the diesel tank. Most of us have done it at one time or another. Just so it is not a lot, just dilute it with diesel and keep on going. Should it be a lot, the engine will be low on power and, as I understand it, hard to start. Then it is up to you to drain it and either use it elsewhere, or return it back in the tank a little at a time. Not good on the lubrication of the injection pump, but in moderation I doubt the lifespan [or mean time between failure] can be measured outside of a lab situation. But as the owner, it is your call.

7. Enjoy the power, rattle and smoke. Welcome to the club! And take comfort that our IDI engines are a lot simpler to repair than the powerstrokes and late models due to a lack of sensors/electronics. That's why we love them so.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips popeye :) so far i let the truck warm up since then and idle for a bit, it started just fine, like it normally does (well i had to fight the neutral safety switch, its goin bad, but as far as actually cranking over does it started perfect) , the only thing i noticed is at an idle there seems to be a hair more blowby, but still next to none, im wondering if it was just cause its a little chilly today, but when i rev the engine via fuel pump it goes away instantly like it always did, and i looked under the truck and i cant tell if theres a small knock or if its just the rattling from the injectors, i have my exhaust hacked off at the back of the cab so its a little hard to hear over :p but other than that its still chuggin just like it did when i got it, im really thankful nothing bad happened....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online