Real nice 86

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think the biggest cause of EGR failures on the 6.0 was due to the coolant. The yellow Ford gold coolant in my opinion is junk! Seems like every Ford Ive seen with that stuff has sand in the degas bottle from the silicates coming out of suspension.

When I started looking into causes of 6.0 engine failures I ran across several pictures of cutaway oil coolers that where plugged with that sand and silicate gel. The way the coolant flows in those engines is through the oil cooler then the EGR cooler. So if the oil cooler plugs it cuts off coolant flow to the EGR cooler. Thats when they overheat and you run into problems. Ford originally recommended running the gold coolant 100K Miles. They later dropped it down to 60,000 and more recently dropped it use all together in their new vehicles.

I think had they used a better coolant there wouldn't have been so many EGR related failures. International used ELC in their 6.0 powered trucks and from my understanding didn't have near as many problems.

They are great engines though, contrary to what some people say and they sound awesome!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If you ran a 6.0 in our vintage truck, would it be assumed you could delete the EGR system and the CAT without being harassed too much? I know you can make these engines run, maybe in our vintage is the place they belong:sly

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Dont forget, the 6.0s have 2 less stud per cyl than a 7.3 and make more boost. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that will be a problem

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats Jonathan from Leadfoot Deisel in Georgia.... They do alot of 6.0 diesel repair/preformance. They used to buy alot of parts from my old work.

Ive had the pleasure of working with him/his crew on there Amarillo truck a few years ago, and met them up at Randalls performance in Gladstone IL last year to watch them dyno it when my buddy Brad was writing the tunes for it. I cannot stress how professional Jonathan and his crew are. Alot of good info is too be had from him. He even threw a job offer on the table for me if I wanted to move to GeorgiaLOL

As a matter of fact, he sent me a compressor for my cummins swap, free of charge, and he shipped it to me free;Sweet

If thats not customer service I dont know what is (especially considering I never bought anything from him)

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I think the biggest cause of EGR failures on the 6.0 was due to the coolant. The yellow Ford gold coolant in my opinion is junk! Seems like every Ford Ive seen with that stuff has sand in the degas bottle from the silicates coming out of suspension.

When I started looking into causes of 6.0 engine failures I ran across several pictures of cutaway oil coolers that where plugged with that sand and silicate gel. The way the coolant flows in those engines is through the oil cooler then the EGR cooler. So if the oil cooler plugs it cuts off coolant flow to the EGR cooler. Thats when they overheat and you run into problems. Ford originally recommended running the gold coolant 100K Miles. They later dropped it down to 60,000 and more recently dropped it use all together in their new vehicles.

I think had they used a better coolant there wouldn't have been so many EGR related failures. International used ELC in their 6.0 powered trucks and from my understanding didn't have near as many problems.

They are great engines though, contrary to what some people say and they sound awesome!

Interesting theory about the coolant quality, which could be a factor...but it has been documented (if I can find it again) that Ford tweaked a few things from the original IH design to get the 6.0 to meet emissions standards in their light duty trucks. Things like raising the operating temperature for example.
Thus, Ford created a situation that buses etc never had because the emissions restrictions are much lower in the medium duty truck line.
They pushed the design of both coolant and engine to their limit. Under the right conditions (heavy towing for example) it would lead to destruction. Hence you hear people that have worked on them call any stock 6.0 with a tuner a 'ticking time bomb'.
Just my understanding of the situation.

-Dave

Also: THAT IS A SWEET TRUCK! ;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Interesting theory about the coolant quality, which could be a factor...but it has been documented (if I can find it again) that Ford tweaked a few things from the original IH design to get the 6.0 to meet emissions standards in their light duty trucks. Things like raising the operating temperature for example.
Thus, Ford created a situation that buses etc never had because the emissions restrictions are much lower in the medium duty truck line.
They pushed the design of both coolant and engine to their limit. Under the right conditions (heavy towing for example) it would lead to destruction. Hence you hear people that have worked on them call any stock 6.0 with a tuner a 'ticking time bomb'.
Just my understanding of the situation.

-Dave

Also: THAT IS A SWEET TRUCK! ;Sweet

IH 6.0(VT365) is only 270hp. Ford took the engine and put a factory "chip" to it making it 325hp and then 335hp

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That was another thing I was reading, Ford used their "gold" coolant, while IH put in Pink low silicate coolant from the factory.