random valley pan question

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after talking with a buddy of mine that recently replaced his valley pan and forgot to punch holes in the baffle for his oil drain and i got to thinking about that baffle and now am wondering can it just be cut out? Or does it need to be there for some reason even though its just an oil drain?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baffle probably should stay so that oil cannot splash up towards the grommet right there and cause oil leakage possibly but then again there probable isn't too much oil poooled up under it, however mine leaks quite a bit of oil so it does have some in there while running

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baffle probably should stay so that oil cannot splash up towards the grommet right there and cause oil leakage possibly but then again there probable isn't too much oil poooled up under it, however mine leaks quite a bit of oil so it does have some in there while running

Pelky, did you make sure your CDR tube wasn't plugged up causing extra crank pressure?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes and now, it's not plugged but I'm currently reworking my intake to make it function properly again, needs more restrictive filter to make some vacume to draw the excess pressure out

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes and now, it's not plugged but I'm currently reworking my intake to make it function properly again, needs more restrictive filter to make some vacume to draw the excess pressure out

Right on, I just wanted to be sure it was on your radar!

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the valley pan was new from Napa, but he already pulled the turbo back off and punched holes in it

do the new ones not need holes punched?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new style valley pans have two small oil drain holes. Not gonna move much volume, but they are there. I have always drilled them to ensure my turbo drain has no issue and reduce the chance of an oil leak at the rear of the engine. The tiny little mating surface between the rear of the block and the valley pan has very little surface area to hold a seal and is a common place for annoying oil leaks on the back of the block.

Heath

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it is still better to put holes in it then, good to know

i am still curious though, would just removing the baffle entirely have any negative effects other than maybe a possible leak as stated above?