ran into something kinda odd today...

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
so im cleaning my block and decide to run by work to get the tap i need to chase my head bolt holes. quick google search says that 7.3s use a 1/2-13... damn if i dont have that right here on my bench. but it will BARELY clear the counterbore.

i double check the tap and sure enough, 1/2-13.

i step down to a 7/16-14 which fits PERFECTLY.

so i guess all along ive been running a 6.9. wonder when that happened? the guy must have swapped valve covers too because my catalyst sticker says its the 185 horse 7.3.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its just as posted above... These 6.9 and 7.3 motors look the same. Only a very close look can tell the diferance. Most all the internal parts are the same in both motors. The rods, crank, cam, oil pump, and all the gears are the same... Even the part numbers are the same... Only the 7.3 turbo rods are differant...

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
nope turns out i am just pretty dumb. i didnt notice that somebody had taken a taper tap and whacked it off in a friction saw to make a bottom tap and there was a huge burr on the end.

the counterbore is just a close fit, i guess out of necessity to make sure the heads stay snug