Ram Air intakes (prepare to be insulted)

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason to be concerned about a hydrolock in rainy weather with the hypermax cowl induction. I have the parts collecting dust. I really need to put them on since that's been the plan since I got my turbo.

JD, I have never seen any water in my airbox, even in the rain. The opening is atleast an inch off the cowl floor so any water getting in there drains off without getting in the tube. IF any were to get in there with the eninge off the airbox has a drain hole.
The only thing I do different is in the winter I unhook it from the air box so it dosent draw snow into it, also because the snow likes to sit ontop of the cowl and block the airflow.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is there any reason to be concerned about a hydrolock in rainy weather with the hypermax cowl induction. I have the parts collecting dust. I really need to put them on since that's been the plan since I got my turbo.

a factory n/a air filter housing has a water drain at the rear with a one way valve and the ats 088 filter housing has a water drain right between the bolt mounting holes and I'm sure their other housings have similar drains. I would bet the other turbo manufacturers filter housings have them as well , it would be worth it to look and if not, break out the drill and make one.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt read everything but if you think ram air dont work,say it to pontiac,funny car owners and nascar builders.the more air you can cram into the intake the better for any engine.the colder the air you stuff in there the better.

redpowerd

Reaction score
my 86 had an intake ***** that mounted to the rad support under the battery, i just pulled it out and put it in the 90, the intake hose fit perfect.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Necro-posting here, but, I just did the 2nd half of my test. First half (posted earlier in this thread) I was flirting with 1200 hauling green, rain soaked silver maple. I have since done the "$10.00 cold air/ram air intake" mod. In the same terrain, I have been hauling fill dirt to level my yard, first trip I got 1 cubic yard, and the truck didn't notice it. Temps stayed pretty normal on the EGTs. 2nd trip, which was today, I went ahead and got 2 cubic yards. It was wet, and really squatted the truck down. Highest EGT reading I got was 800 degrees, and I'm quite certain todays dirt haul was heavier than the previous wood load. Getting cooler air absolutely has made a difference in my truck. I have a pic, but it's hard to see the top of the dirt against the hillside across the street. But you can see the back of the truck is much lower than usual.
First pic is with the dirt in it, 2nd is with the dirt on it, but empty.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, maybe I should have clarified; it dropped the truck down quite a bit compared to how it normally sits. But really, my main idea was the 400 degree difference in EGTs hauling over the same terrain, heavier than the last time with the "just breathing the engine compartment air" vs. the "$10.00 cold air intake" setup.

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine helped, i could tell. but i dont have any egt gauge to test

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i have had a 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy on a 24ft trailer pulling with my truck it didnt like that to much, and it was setting as low as it would go, i have no idea why it didnt want to pull that, i mean thats just a little light load:DLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online