Ram Air intakes (prepare to be insulted)

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually getting very ready to put this very "theory" to the test myself. As you can see, the intake opens up right into the top center area of the engine compartment. I can't decide where to route things, there's not much room in there, but I'll figure something out.
You must be registered for see images attach

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you seen the hypermax cowl induction setup? They cut a hole in the firewall and catch the air that rolls around in front of the windhshield.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that, until now. I'd like to see some pics of one already set up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I haven't seen that, until now. I'd like to see some pics of one already set up.

How about this

My egts went way down with mine and a noticable pickup in the time the boost rises . More boost at cruising speed as well

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outstanding. I think I'll go that route; it looks very clean, and you say you got positive results, so seems like a no brainer to me. THanks!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty neat. I've never seen that before. Did hypermax always do this?

I can't say I've noticed much of a vortex on the hood on my truck. The air currents are visible when driving in light snow and asside from a rather large low pressure zone over the front of the hood, the air seems to generally move front to back.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
on the way home from my game before i left the school i put my ram-air back on in the parking lot lol boy did i get some funny looks, lol well after i got out of the city limits i done a couple more 0-60 runs, first run i screwed the shift up between 2nd and third and pulled a 16.35 second 0-60, well second run i got all the shifts just right and pulled off 13.78 seconds which greatly greatly suprised me:eek: maybe it just luck, or maybe its the ram-air, idk but i will always use ram-air its just my preffrence

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Outstanding. I think I'll go that route; it looks very clean, and you say you got positive results, so seems like a no brainer to me. THanks!

It's a nice product that does as advertised. What a novel concept. The folks at Hypermax were even extra helpful in making sure I got the right part number to fit my truck, even though I have a competitors turbo on there :hail
Fairly simple to install. basically just cut a hole in the firewall. IF you happen to have a plasma cutter it takes all of about 30 seconds :D otherwise it would take a few minutes with an abrasive cutoff wheel. and a few minutes to drill the holes for the screws. not exactly major surgery. The hardest part was getting the new stiff accordian hose over the ends the first time until I figured out the trick ( thread it on kind of like screwing it onto the fitting on one side and go a few extra turns, then just back thread it onto the other fitting in reverse ;Sweet

My first trip out I actually pulled over in a parking lot to check the wires to my thermocouple. I thought that I had pulled them loose when I was installing the thing because the egts were reading so stinking low :rotflmao:rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How about this

Do I see a hint of John "Deer Green" -or do I for some reason just hear the song? :dunno

Naw, just some flashy green engine paint the young'uns took a fancy to. I bought an engine a while back and it came that colour and they wanted me to keep it that way, turns out that colour is easy to find .. it does look pretty close to Deere green though come to think of it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
When I was still N/A with the pump turned up I saw around a 100* drop in EGTs under normal driving when I changed the location of the chute & made it bigger.
FWIW when I tried running the normal air bowl without a tube temps were up till I put the tube back on.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i think ram-air is the best style intake for power and drop in temputures, why would it have been used for so many years on the old hot rod muscle cars, and why would the use it on big rigs, the got dual ram-air.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
In town with speeds between from 0-45 my intake air temp was 100-110 once up to 55-60 it cooled to 85-95 and this was with temps in the mid 60's. All this was empty just cruising around I'm sure if I was towing the air temps would have been higher. The only time I seen the temps go lower was coasting up to a stop sign when the rpms and egts dropped. As soon as I started to go again the temps went right back up. I'm gonna look into routing some cooler air from in front of the radiator to the intake and see what the temps run then

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the first half of my test today, done as it sits. Hauled a load of green and rain soaked silver maple firewood across the hills of SW PA. Highest I got was uphill naturally, and I was flirting with 1200 degrees EGT. Hopefully I'll be able to order the Hypermax piece within the week, and then of course, hopefully I'll have another load of firewood to haul to make a comparison.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres my $10.00 cowl air setup. As everyone has said, I noticed lower EGT's at low and mid range RPM, and higher boost at high RPM. I can tell when its not on there. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go with a ram air through the grill so I dont have to cut a hole in the cowl.

Attachments

• pic00.jpg
    pic00.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 47